165 vs 180g

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by zachG23, Jul 11, 2012.

1. zachG23

zachG23 New Member

165 less recoil or no?????

2. Not in my observation. 165gr 40cal loads are pushed to 1150-1200fps normally, the 180gr bullets normally see 950fps so there's a lot more "snap" IMHO with the lighter bullets where as the heavier ones are more "45ish" although they still have some of that 40cal "snap". I didn't believe it until I tried it, been a 155gr-165gr 40cal shooter every time I've had one but the local WalMart only had 180gr stuff in stock, bought a box and was amazed at how much easier they were to shoot. Still not as easy as a 45acp IMHO but a lot better then the lighter stuff.

3. Blades

Blades Senior Member

I find the 165gr to be "snappy".

4. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

The 165gr has more recoil IMO.

5. Blackmagic02

Blackmagic02 New Member

A retired E-9 Marine who competes often told me some years back that 180 has less recoil than 165. A heavier bullet will always have less velocity and less recoil. At the time we were discussing what would be the better bullet weight in a PM40.

6. I cant tell the difference in shooting my 180gr target ammo and shooting a few of my 165 self defense ammo. Feels the same to me. But I do have big hands, if that matters.

7. with my reloads I get better accuracy with 165gr bullets. I dont get a snap in recoil with 165s factory or reloads.I felel it more with the 180gr bullets.I have not shot any of my 40 cal pistols in a while so I could have the recoil backwards.But 165s are the best for accracy in all of my 40cal pistols!

8. Nyckid211

Nyckid211 New Member

this is an excerpt of something I read on the interwebs awhile back on .40 and weight differences:

This caliber has established an excellent track record on the street. Smith & Wesson and Winchester really did their research when they invented the .40 S&W. Your choice comes down to either the 180 grain jacketed hollowpoints or the 135-155 grain jacketed hollowpoints by Cor-Bon, Winchester,Federal,CCI or Remington. All are good stoppers,but the lighter weight bullets have the best stopping power records on the streets.

The real-world shooting database clearly favors the lighter 135-155 gr. JHP loads. I personally would carry the potent Cor-Bon 135 or 150 grain jacketed hollowpoint or the Winchester Silvertip 155 grain jacketed hollowpoint (X40SWSTHP). The 135-155 grain JHP kicks less and has higher kinetic energy and stopping power than the 180 gr. JHP loads. The 135 gr. JHP appears to be a real stopper.

In short,you cannot go wrong with the .40 S&W - unless you carry ball. Choose a good hollowpoint and stick with it. Leave the ball for practice (the CCI Blazer 180 grain TMJ is a good inexpensive practice round). /endexcerpt

Judging from the webpage itself, there is a lot of good info there, so I take whats said here as truth.
    Heres the full link:
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm