14 yr old defends siblings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RockoutwithmyGlockout, Jun 23, 2012.

1. RockoutwithmyGlockout

RockoutwithmyGlockout New Member

14-Year-Old Phoenix Boy Shoots Armed Intruder
    By AMANDA LEE MYERS Associated Press
    2 hours, 58 minutes ago

A 14-year-old boy shot and nearly killed an intruder who broke into his Phoenix home and pulled a gun on him while he was watching his three younger siblings, police said Saturday.

The teen and his siblings, ages 8, 10 and 12, were at home alone when a woman rang the doorbell Friday afternoon, Phoenix police Officer James Holmes said.

The teen didn't open the door because he didn't recognize the woman.

Soon after, the teen heard a loud bang on the door, rushed his siblings upstairs and got a handgun from his parent's bedroom.

When he got to the top of the stairs, he saw a man break through the front door and point a gun at him.

The boy shot the 37-year-old man, who was taken to a hospital in extremely critical condition and underwent surgery. The man was upgraded to critical condition and is expected to survive and be booked into jail within the week on counts of aggravated assault and burglary, Holmes said.

He said the suspect did not get a shot off. He declined to release his name until he is booked into jail.

The woman who rang the home's doorbell got away.

Holmes hailed the teen's actions and his parents for teaching the kids to never open the door to strangers.

"The police and indeed our community does not ever want to see a situation where a teenager of that age has to take a weapon to protect his family ... but this young man did exactly what he should have done," he said. "I'm not sure he gave full thought about what he had to do. He just acted."

Holmes said that the gun the teen grabbed was his father's, but did not know whether the boy had been trained to use it.

He said the family, whose names were not released, is declining to speak to reporters about the ordeal, saying that they "are all pretty traumatized."

"The dad was pretty much out of his mind with distress, officers couldn't even talk to him," Holmes said. "It's going to take them a while to recover mentally."

He said police don't yet know what the suspect's intentions were and that will be one of the first questions they ask him when he is well enough to talk.

"This was mid-block in a neighborhood, at 4:30 in the afternoon in summertime and children are there," he said. "They just took a heck of a gamble for this particular house, and we've got to try to figure out why."

Holmes added that the family is lucky that the teen acted so swiftly and effectively.

"As ugly as this is, and as much as this family is going through, we don't have injured children on our hands," he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16635787&sid=81

I can only hope that the father did in fact train him in the use of a firearm. However, also glad that the young boy did act correctly. I could only hope my children would in fact react the same. Proper safety and reaction training is a must!

2. iRockGlock

iRockGlock Well-Known Member

3. NoMoss

NoMoss New Member

This kid is smarter than most adults. I also like the fact he Police depart is praising the kid for his actions.

4. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

What do they mean they're not sure if he was trained to use it properly? Bad guy breaks in, points a gun at him, he shoots and hits the BG and no one else. Sounds to me like he is trained pretty well.

5. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

Ain't that the truth!!!

6. Djstudter702

Djstudter702 Dj Studter

Just read about it on FB as well. Pretty crazy thing to happen, but glad no one but the suspect was injured. Much praise to the young boy for acting and protecting his younger siblings. Hopefully it doesn't mess the boy up in the future and that they get him maybe into some counseling to help him deal with it. Wonder if he used a Glock? That sure would be something for the company.

7. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Gets pretty crazy here in phx...props to the 14 yr old boy.

8. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Sorry to hear the boys are traumatized, and I don't blame them, but I'm so much happier to hear some ******* is in the hospital with a hole in him than 4 small caskets. The parents sound like they trained their kids well and should be praised highly. Bad Guy 0 - Home Alone 1 :D

9. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Almost had to do the same thing here in Phoenix as well... I drew my gun before he broke the door down and the guy ran off...

10. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

+1 for me...shooting from the top of the stairs means around 10'-0" or a bit more to shoot, and the kid had the presence of mind to aim (many don't in such stressful situations) and nearly killed the guy with one shot!!!

Must have been a 45 ;-)

11. NoMoss

NoMoss New Member

The parents should file a law suit against the bad guy, since his actions caused an event that transfixed the kid.

12. jimmyalbrecht

They wouldn't win, but if the bad guy filed a lawsuit he would probably win...

13. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Not in AZ my friend!!! Bad guy won't find a sympathetic jury here! ;)

14. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

If it were an adult in the house maybe, but 4 kids under 14...I like their chances of have the BG laughed out of the courtroom.

15. jimmyalbrecht

That dog wouldn't hunt in Georgia either, but there are a lot of states where sadly it would probably be entertained.

16. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

*Cough... Jersey… *cough cough… :D

17. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

And Californication since we are calling out he ignorant!!

18. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

i could put a list together… lol

19. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

No, please...it's already too late, I'll be up till 3 am ;-)

20. NoMoss

NoMoss New Member

Hey I'm from California. And the kid would probably get arrested since he did have a value Handgun Safety Card. :0