10mm question...?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by shiflet, May 6, 2012.

1. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Until what distance is a 10mm round accurate?? Is it any good for shooting 300+ yards? Is it comparable in any way to a. 223? Also does anyone have any experience with the carbine kits that will convert your glock to a carbine rifle?? Any info would be great guys! Thx!

2. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

300 yards? No. Rifle rounds tend to be moving around 2500 FPS, +/- quite a bit depending on the caliber/load. 10mm tends to run around 1200-1300 FPS. A .223 runs 55-78gr bullets. A 10mm runs 135-200gr bullets.

If you need to shoot 300 yards, get a rifle. Even if you put a Glock into one of those carbine kits, many of which turn it into a SBR, which requires a $200 tax stamp from the gov't, you'd still be looking at maybe 100 yds. Of course, none of the carbine kits that I've seen are made for 10mm size frames/slides, so I don't know if it's even possible to get one.

3. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I think shooting a Glock 20 at 300 yards would be much like shooting a mortar.

4. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Lmao haha really...

5. glocknloaded

Not sure why you would want to shoot any handgun 300yds that's pretty far

6. AverageCitizen

AverageCitizen New Member

Their is a bid of 2 dudes shooting a g20 at like 300 yards. I believe the target was like a 3'x 3' square

7. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I mean. I could hit a 3' x 3' square at 300 yards also with a G20. It's going to take me a couple of tries but you better believe I'm going to eventually hit it.

8. shiflet

shiflet New Member

I was just curious. No actual NEED for it. I have my long distance rifles... just was curious for fun. I saw a 10mm I believe. Its like mechanical tech I think its called.

9. glocknloaded

Would be a blast to do it :)

10. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Oh I think it would be extremely fun. Just wondering what the crap I could do with it lol.

11. glocknloaded

I'd like to see how far I could hit a small target with iron sights on my AR just don't have any where around here to try I think the furthest range here is 200 yds

12. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Yeah its getting harder and harder to find anywhere reasonably close on Arizona(I should specify close to mesa) to desert shoot. I try to stay away from the ranges I feel like I'm in a nazi training camp with some of the range masters they have.

13. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

The M16-A1's the Marine Corps was using in 1973 were spece'd @ 460 meters for their maximum effective range on a point target. That was shooting 55 grain FMJ Ball, out of a 19 inch barrel. So if you can find a range with a 500 meter line, that should be enough.

14. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

There's a range an hour or so from here, that if you are a member of, you can shoot at 300 or 400 yds. If it were closer to me, I might be willing to join, but it's too far & too expensive!

460m = 503yds! That's pretty...ambitious...as an effective range for a 5.56. No wonder there are so many stories/complaints of it being ineffective in combat.

15. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Where is "here" just out of curiosity?

16. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Just outside of Atlanta

17. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Oh. To bad that's no where close to "here" Phoenix lol

18. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Here's a scan from pg 203 of The Marine Corps Guidebook, listing some of the published specs. Stories, rumors, all that aside. The M16-A1 was a fine weapons platform, and would shoot 500 yards with open sights all day long. The skill level of the operator had to match the capability of the weapon of course. Past 500 yards the 55 grain ball ammunition was prone to tumbling & key hole strikes would be noticed.

Attached Files: