Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone use? my friend says he bringing his 10mm ar15 with him when he comes into town.im planning on building my ar10 this fall but a 10mm ar15 may be replacing that anyone know the pro and cons of it. compared to the ar10's prices on ammo recoil extra weight and such?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
what?

Please translate. Can't understand what you're saying even if I try to add punctuation.

·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I edited it sorry was researching it online.

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
what?

Please translate. Can't understand what you're saying even if I try to add punctuation.
He was going to build an AR10 (.308), but his buddy is coming to town and says he has an AR chambered in 10mm. He is considering switching his plans to building an AR chambered in 10mm if this is a true story. If so, does anyone have information on the pros and cons of these two guns?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Anyone use? my friend says he bringing his 10mm ar15 with him when he comes into town.im planning on building my ar10 this fall but a 10mm ar15 may be replacing that anyone know the pro and cons of it. compared to the ar10's prices on ammo recoil extra weight and such?
Thanks...

If were you, I"d stick with building the AR-10.

I know around here, the 10mil ammo is hard to get so that disqualified that caliber when I was first shipping for Glocks. It would be the same for having it in an AR.

.308 is MUCH easier to get. (if you are building a.308 AR-10 and not the 7.62).

just my $0.02.

D

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
He was going to build an AR10 (.308), but his buddy is coming to town and says he has an AR chambered in 10mm. He is considering switching his plans to building an AR chambered in 10mm if this is a true story. If so, does anyone have information on the pros and cons of these two guns?
you translated his already edited version. But thanks. ;)

:D

d

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Thanks...

If were you, I"d stick with building the AR-10.

I know around here, the 10mil ammo is hard to get so that disqualified that caliber when I was first shipping for Glocks. It would be the same for having it in an AR.

.308 is MUCH easier to get. (if you are building a.308 AR-10 and not the 7.62).

just my $0.02.

D
but cant you shot the 7.62 out of the .308 upper but not the .308 out of the 7.62 upper cause of the pressure difference?

I'm all for the .308 cause the 10mm wont come even close to the performance of the .308.:)

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
but cant you shot the 7.62 out of the .308 upper but not the .308 out of the 7.62 upper cause of the pressure difference?

I'm all for the .308 cause the 10mm wont come even close to the performance of the .308.:)
From what I understand, yes, but don't quote me on that.

Most guys i know go with the .308 build more b/e of ammo considerations and not because of pressure issues, so I wouldn't know for sure.

If i go larger than .223, i'm going m700 and not AR. but tha'ts just me. :D

d

·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok first i was planning to build the 7.62....i have a .308 savage already. But the 10mm has became my favorite hand gun round my friend told me he has a ar15 a2 chambered for 10mm he said it weights as much as a .223 ar15 but holds less rounds...and i know the ar 10 feels like it weights alot more than the 15. So made me think about it instead. And i have no problem finding 10mm around here not many people shoot them and there always in stock. Around here...

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Ok first i was planning to build the 7.62....i have a .308 savage already. But the 10mm has became my favorite hand gun round my friend told me he has a ar15 a2 chambered for 10mm he said it weights as much as a .223 ar15 but holds less rounds...and i know the ar 10 feels like it weights alot more than the 15. So made me think about it instead. And i have no problem finding 10mm around here not many people shoot them and there always in stock. Around here...
must be nice to have stock on the 10 mil.

If you already have the .308 the AR-10 in .308 woudl use the same ammo, but the argument also applies if you buy the 10mil AR.

Still though, I'd go with the .308 AR. They're also easier to sell if you needed to sell the AR.

D

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
It would be interesting to see the performance figures of a 10mm cartridge fired out of a 19 inch barrel. The M1 Carbine in .30 was pretty effective out to 300 yards. It speced out at around 1900 fps with a 120 grain bullet. And there is always some appeal in having a carbine that uses the same cartridge as your sidearm. Recoil is never an issue in the Stoner designs because of the buffer/spring group, so shooting it would likely be pretty fun. Shorter barrels with the .30 were pretty loud weapons, so I would think the 10mm would likely be even louder. Interesting idea anyway.

·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i don't care about selling any guns i plan to pass down ny collection when Im gone ya know what mean. Plus Idk i just feel like .308 are for bolt action and 7.62 are for semi automatics. Just my opinion i have no reasoning for this just how i feel. So basically i got till work dies down in fall to choose lighter 10mm (but less rounds) are the 7.62 more rounds (but more weight) my mean question i guess has anyone tried both and can give a good review?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,454 Posts
I always wanted to check out the MP-5/10. I've shot MP-5 in 9mm. The thought of throwing down 180 grain hollow points at 1400 fps seems like a formidable combination. Especially in full auto with a collapsible stock option.

·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SeventiesWreckers said:
It would be interesting to see the performance figures of a 10mm cartridge fired out of a 19 inch barrel. The M1 Carbine in .30 was pretty effective out to 300 yards. It speced out at around 1900 fps with a 120 grain bullet. And there is always some appeal in having a carbine that uses the same cartridge as your sidearm. Recoil is never an issue in the Stoner designs because of the buffer/spring group, so shooting it would likely be pretty fun. Shorter barrels with the .30 were pretty loud weapons, so I would think the 10mm would likely be even louder. Interesting idea anyway.
You bring up a good about the sound....hadn't considered that...but Im pretty sure the 7.62 would out reform 10mm considering its a rifle round

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
You bring up a good about the sound....hadn't considered that...but Im pretty sure the 7.62 would out reform 10mm considering its a rifle round
No doubt, in regard to the performance comparison, wouldn't expect it too. I just always liked the little .30 M1 carbine as a weapons platform, & kind of wondered what it would be like scaled up to a .40, which it would be as a 10mm. It always had plenty of punch as a .30 for hunting small game up to deer, at ranges inside 200 yards. Which is what I mostly shoot at when I'm out & about. Carbines with iron sights make great heavy cover brush guns, an AR in 10mm would be a sweet little hunter.

·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Danzig said:
I always wanted to check out the MP-5/10. I've shot MP-5 in 9mm. The thought of throwing down 180 grain hollow points at 1400 fps seems like a formidable combination. Especially in full auto with a collapsible stock option.
I would very happy with a p90 if we was talking full autos i saw one at our last gun show the guy saw me looking at it and he was like 500 grand you can have it...i replied ill give you a dollar to hold it lol...so after i held it and he showed me the perks about it i gave him his gun and his dollar Lmao

SeventiesWreckers said:
No doubt, in regard to the performance comparison, wouldn't expect it too. I just always liked the little .30 M1 carbine as a weapons platform, & kind of wondered what it would be like scaled up to a .40, which it would be as a 10mm. It always had plenty of punch as a .30 for hunting small game up to deer, at ranges inside 200 yards. Which is what I mostly shoot at when I'm out & about. Carbines with iron sights make great heavy cover brush guns, an AR in 10mm would be a sweet little hunter.
Yea it defiantly sounds fun but of course this will be my first ar...so i guess any will be fun. My friend Kyle let me shoot his 22lr .223 & 7.62 to make sure it was what i wanted..but ill probably have to try them side by side to be sure he'll be here in two weeks so ill give my review once i try it also as for prices i get twice as many 10mm compared to .308...7.62 Im sure as about the same locality but I've been told about the cheap Russian stuff that might be cheaper....as for ordering in bulk ill check once Im home and can get on a computer typing to such on this phone fingers are hurting lol

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
I've seen videos on the internet of people getting over 2,000 fps with the 10mm round out of the 16" mech tech carbines so I imagine a 19" barrel would be more. They were using the hot Underwood ammo with 135 gr. bullets.

·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jimmyalbrecht said:
I've seen videos on the internet of people getting over 2,000 fps with the 10mm round out of the 16" mech tech carbines so I imagine a 19" barrel would be more. They were using the hot Underwood ammo with 135 gr. bullets.
Yea those 135 gr 10's defiantly get some speed on them but blazer 200 gr only 26 a box lol...

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUyQ-E9aEnI[/ame]

Go to 5:00 to see the mech tech 16" carbine chrono. That is some nasty stuff, especially if guys like to hunt.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
you translated his already edited version. But thanks. ;)

:D

d
I still kinda needed the translation myself. Ow.

There are semi auto MP-10s & MP-40s on gunbroker all the time. Only $4k, plus the NFA stamp of course. :rolleyes: Still, I want one! Of each!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts