1022 purchase

Discussion in 'North West USA' started by NWG40, Mar 3, 2020.

1. NWG40

NWG40 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well Holy sh*t. Did I ever get sticker shock. :eek::eek:
    Here's the timeline......
    Purchased a 1022 online. Washington State tax = 9.7%
    Had to produce my 1639 certificate.
    Am told I'll have a 10 wait.
    $40 for the transfer, $18 to 1639.

Never in man's history has there been a rimfire assault rifle.
    But that goes to show just how ass backwards Washington State is.

LElliott, Bayou and TheKraken like this.
  2. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Sorry man, That really sucks!

3. NWG40

No apologies. :cool:
    But yes it REALLY DOES BLOW :(:(:(

4. NWG40

I didn't think the 10 day wait was until July.

5. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

My tax rate is 10.2%, lol!!

6. Lucian_253

Yeah the 10/22 is a mag fed semi auto rifle. So in WA it’s an assault rifle. The local PD has 10 days to approve, if they do not approve in 10 days as of July 1st, 2019 ( I-1639) it has to be released to you by law.

7. NWG40

Oh....Right month....Wrong year.:rolleyes:
    Tax rate must be affected by zip code?

8. Lucian_253

I believe it’s by county or city. Tacoma is 10.2%, Seattle is 10.1%, Eatonville is 7.9%, etc.

9. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know Washington, but here it's comprised of several components and varies depending on what county you're in, and also whether or not you're inside any city limits. There's a 6.5% statewide sales tax, a county sales tax (which varies by county, usually 1-2%), and a lot of cities & towns have their own local sales tax as well. So you have to add them up by jurisdiction, with most locales ending up at 8%-9.5% overall. I go through this every month on our business' sales tax reporting. Since we do work in so many jurisdictions and each jurisdiction gets paid different rates, our sales tax report is usually three pages long, sometimes four.

10. helitack32f1

helitack32f1 Well-Known Member

I hear ya! Just went through that with the G44. Except no transfer fee, and my tax is 8.7%. The wait period really pissed me off though, especially the $18 fine that comes with it and the background check. Just plain stupid, and the citizens voted for this crap!!!

11. sglide05

sglide05 Very Cool Member Supporter

My 10/22 is almost 30 years old. I put it on layaway at Walmart in California. Eventually paid it off and still had to wait 10 days for the background check. My 10/22 is one of my favorite firearms.

Sparky_D and LElliott like this.
  12. NWG40

The reason I was questioning the 9.7% tax is my county tax is 8.9%. So who's getting the other .8% tax & what's it for?

LElliott likes this.
  13. NWG40

All this applies to pistols too? A few months back I purchased my G40.4 lower. The ridiculous Washington state tax applied but just a $40 transfer fee. It was cash & carry.

14. Lucian_253

Since July 1st 2019 all semi auto pistols & rifles. I’m not sure about revolvers. Stripped AR lowers, Bolt action rifles & shotguns are still NICS quick check. I think that may change July 1st, 2020 though. My shockwave was quick check, so “ others” are maybe changing to new system 7-01-2020 also. God Bless 1639....

LElliott likes this.
  15. helitack32f1

helitack32f1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is all just a bunch of confusing insanity to me. I think most of it is due to 1639 but it seems like there are other things happening too but I may just be confused.

On another note, last weekend my dad and I visited gun shops in your neck of the woods. I didn’t know there was a gun shop in the shooting range there but that was the only place I could find Glock 44 mags, and they seemed to have a lot better prices than Skagit Arms does. Also stoped by All American Armory. Lots of shops around!

LElliott and NWG40 like this.
  16. Lucian_253

The transfer fee comes from another initiative that went into effect in 2014.

17. NWG40

There is some humor in this after all....
    I filled out the paperwork on 3/3. The mandatory 10 day wait is 3/13.
    3/13 Friday, Friday the 13th. Tell me that's not an omen :eek:o_O

18. Lucian_253

I think there is a full moon next week also, lol!!

Old Bloke, LElliott and NWG40 like this.
  19. NWG40

PERFECT!!!!!!
    I'll have this in Aces.....:cool:

Old Bloke likes this.