10 mm ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by elonsmk1, Jun 10, 2012.

1. elonsmk1

elonsmk1 New Member

Just purchased a gen 3 g20 wanted to know what was the best ammo to use for self defense.I want to use ammo that the 10 mm was made for that's why I bought one and not a 40 cal. I live in Fayetteville nc and the pawn shops here very rarly have 10 mm ammo so if I have to order it I want to get the good stuff

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

We use Hornady Critical Defense in all our EDCs. I'll move this to the ammo subforum so you can get the best replies.

3. Tape

Tape New Member

I use range ammo for sd, the body doesn't know what it just got hit with, it only knows it hurts like hell.

welcome to the forum

4. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Lol " it only knows it hurts like hell"

5. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Was this a joke? :) You use FMJ, or is your range ammo hollowpoints?

6. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

My ammunition choice is always dictated by what it is I'm defending against. If I'm out in the wild places, & Bear attacks are a consideration, I load & carry the most powerful, deeply penetrating, ammunition my weapon can handle. I want a bullet that stands a chance of creating an exit wound, if it expands a bit, or deforms some, that's fine. But I really want the thru & thru wound channel. It might come in handy soon after you empty your magazine. If you can stay alive long enough while it's trying to rip you into pieces, it might bleed out, if you've installed enough leaks. Or not.

I really like the 10mm, I had a Colt Delta Elite when they first came out. But at the time I was pretty hooked on S&W .44 Mags, so it was kind of redundant, and I sold it. Bad call on my part, I wish I hadn't. I was using a Colt 1911, .45 ACP for home defense at the time, & still do (along with the G21). There is a better choice in 10mm ammo now than I had 30 years ago, so I imagine you could find a suitable load that would give you monster expansion & not wind up in the next zip code. Technology is our friend after all.

Nice choice on the G20 though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, not much it can't handle.

7. Tape

Tape New Member

not joking FMJ yes, experience will teach you very much

8. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I am a big fan of Buffalo Bore ammo for the 10mm.

9. Blades

Blades Senior Member

True; experience does teach a lot to a lot of people, that's why I'll go with the FBI and Dr. Roberts for now. :)
    I don't have enough experience myself, so I have to pick somebody to trust.

10. RobertR13

RobertR13 Left

For EDC I carry Nosler 135gr hollow points over an above list charge of AutoComp. For woods, I carry 200gr HCRN over an above list charge of HS-6. My stock Glock barrel does not handle the 230gr bullets well so I use the 200gr. If I ever get around to getting a 6" barrel, I expect the 230s will run just fine.

11. elonsmk1

elonsmk1 New Member

Thx. Do you have a web site for nobler hope I spelled that right. Also you said wood 200 grain are you talking about underwood arms may sound dumb but I must ask Ian a noobie

12. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Buffalo Bore Barnes TAC-XP 135 gr. Lead Free.

1500 ft/s, 730 ft/lbs at the muzzle. The best stuff you can buy.

If youre into frangible ammo, I suggest magsafe ammo.

13. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

This months Gun Digest has an article about the truth and myths of defensive ammo, etc. It is an except from a book. It's a pretty good read.

14. RobertR13

RobertR13 Left

It's Nosler, and I just get them from Midway. For woods, I mean when I'm in bear and moose country and may accidentally piss off something that requires a lot more penetration than virtually any other situation. I roll my own across the board.

15. Captain

Captain New Member

IL
    Hornady Critical Defense and reloads for practice