Ruger LCR: is it just me or what?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by CDR_Glock, Oct 9, 2012.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Member

I have many pistols, and even a couple of pocket pistols. I shoot 357 in a snubby without issues.

I have the Ruger LCR with the 38 caliber capability. I don't know why, but this hurts to shoot. Is it just me? I have a new set of third party grips being sent to me by Eagle Grips. I hope this works. I should have opted for a 357 Magnum.

2. Blaze

Blaze Active Member

No you are right the .38 LCR is a bit of punch I shot over 50 rounds In one yesterday and my hand did have a work out but my advise keep shooting it gets way better..

3. GlockfanAZ

GlockfanAZ New Member

are you shooting full powder loads?

I was shooting reloads with my wifes, and the "lower" 38s were find, but the full powder "hot" loads, it will keep you on your toes. I shot a "hot" load out of my LCR 357, and it just planed sucked after the 5 rounds lol

4. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member

I actually prefer shooting my LCR .38 + P, over some S&W J frames I have owned in the past. I have the Hogue grip that comes stock on it, the CTC model looked like it could be uncomfortable. I also bought the Hogue Bantom boot grip for the LCR. I wouldn't recommend it. It is slippery and is a shorter grip. I shot with it once and the gun almost flew out of my hands.

5. LCR recoil

Yo Guys, The LCR is a super light weight revolver (i.e.polymer frame) and that is one of the trade offs to light weight, increased recoil. I had an LCR for about a month and sold it for this very reason. I bought it for the wife but after shooting it myself I knew she would not tolerate the recoil very long, so out the door it went. I loved that little revolver though. It had the best 5 shot revolver trigger of any I've tried.

6. GlockfanAZ

GlockfanAZ New Member

40cal is right. It did have a really nice trigger for a DAO. It was easy to "cock it" and get the cylinder to turn, but not drop the hammer. I miss that revolver.

7. 16again

16again Premium Member

I have a KelTec P3AT and it kicks the heck out of my hand. Small light weight gun. I can only put a box through it before my hand gets really uncomfortable. That said it's a GREAT little pocket gun.

8. Tdog02

Tdog02 New Member

I've shot about 2k rounds out of my LCR. I retired my old S&W 442 because it was so much more comfortable to shoot

9. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Member

Recoil is not so much the issue with respect to control. It's more of the force I experience from shooting 100 rounds of Plus P 38 ammo.

I just acquired the Eagle Grips Special Agent which are great but the pain still exists. It's a 13 oz gun and I realize the recoil issue. I'll likely trade or sell the LCR. I just bought a Smith and Wesson Performance Center Model 586 L-Comp 7 round 357 Magnum.

The LCR may be great for those with small or average sized hands. I'll stick to my larger framed firearms.

10. Danzig

Danzig Mediocre at Best Member

The factory Hogue LCR grips are going to be your least punishing grips.
    I heard the X frame Smith grips will fit the K/L frames. They have very soft rubber and an air pocket right behind the recoil shoulder. I haven't tried to switch out on my guns to test. My 500 hurts a lot less than my 629 3" with wood grips.

11. HomeDefense101

HomeDefense101 New Member

My next purchase is either a LCP, TCP or LCR if I do get the LCR grips will have to be changed immediately as this would be my pocket carry. I am 5'7" 130lbs with small hands. I usually carry a XDm 40 4.5 but it is much to heavy for constant shoulder and hip carry..
    Having my doubts the lcr will actually be a pocket rocket though even after grip change :( what a bummer. I love. 357s and. 38s not fond of. 380 but if it will actually conceal, well it'll win my $$$

12. Whisky

Whisky New Member

my Wife has the LCR in .357mag/.38spec - it, along with her Glock 19, were purchased by her at the same time

she range-shoots the LCR, mostly with .38spec but sometimes shoots the mags, in rotation with her other pistols - she hasn't complained about recoil when doing so

I shoot it too and the only "problem" I have with it is it's capacity - it's a good pistol otherwise