G19 or G26

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by davidortiz94, Sep 12, 2017.

1. davidortiz94

davidortiz94 New Member

I'm thinking about buying my first gun.. I'm thinking in G19 or G26. What do you guys think I should get?

2. BlackGuns4Fun

BlackGuns4Fun New Member

The good news is you can't go wrong either way. They're both fine guns.

My best advice would be to find a range that rents them and shoot both. See which one you shoot better and which one you are more comfortable with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Glock Forum mobile app

cnutco and davidortiz94 like this.

3. g30shooter

g30shooter Member

Ditto ^^^^^^^ ... and maybe a few others too - you won't carry it or shoot it as often as you should or could if it doesn't feel comfortable in your hand.

4. I've seen this question a few times. I know 19 is a heavy favorite but it doesn't appear to do any one thing the best. If you want full size home protection in 9mm than the 17 makes the most sense. If you want the best in double stack concealment the 26 seems to hold that title. Want a little of both. 19.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    CDR_Glock and davidortiz94 like this.
  5. Why not get both ? But if you can only buy one I would go with the G-19.

CDR_Glock and davidortiz94 like this.
  6. Glock19XDS9mm

Glock19XDS9mm Member

I own both, love both, loved the G26 for quite some time, but have went back and fell in love more with the G19.

My votes for G19.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  7. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Member

I have a 17 which is a great full sized gun for plinking. My carry is a 19. I got a 34 for competition purposes.

The first gun should be something that should allow you to practice fundamentals, early on. The 19 would be an excellent choice.

Remember, the first gun, is not usually the last gun.

Once you've become very facile with it, you can either get a 26 to complement it or a pocket carry G43.

cnutco likes this.
  8. yep380

yep380 Member

Your needs dictate what to buy.

If you're planning on CC, get the G26. You can add a 15 round + Xgrip sleeve and/or a 17 round + Xgrip essentially have a short barreled G19 or G17. You can't make the G19 any smaller.

If you're buying for HD or range use, the G19 would be better (my opinion).

I have G26 - it's my favorite GLOCK.

9. Che

Che Member

I would go with the larger G19 for a first handgun. Great learning platform. The G26 just does not work for everybody.

cnutco likes this.
  10. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Active Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I EDC'd a G26 for years as my primary firearm. I went from Pearce pinky extensions to 12-round factory mags to G19 mags with an X-grip sleeve. The Xgrip setup worked best for me grip-wise, but on the downside didn't allow the mags to drop free on reloads.

At some point, I figured I might as well just carry a 19. It has a longer sight radius, a rail for attachments, and is only slightly heavier than a 26 with a 19 mag.

EDCing the 19 is no more difficult than carrying the 26. For me, the 19 just works better, leaving the 26 to backup/vehicle gun duty. The 19 is a better HD, SD, and range gun compared to the 26, IMHO.

CDR_Glock and Glock19XDS9mm like this.
  11. JJHNSN

JJHNSN Member

First? Glock 19 ... no question about it.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  12. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

No need to overthink it. Glock 19 is considered one of, if not the best poly semi-auto ever invented. The 26 is excellent too, but more oriented for CCW rather than all around usefulness.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  13. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Active Member

OP ... what have you decided?