First Glock. School Me, Please.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Fiat, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Lol

2. I'm shooting a total of 7 Gen 3 Glocks. All perform perfectly. Exactly what you would expect from Glock. I have never had any interest to purchase any Gen 4 or Gen 5 models. All of my Glock's are of Austrian manufacture. I believe the USA made Glock pistols lack the Tennifer coating. And instead have either the Melonite, or else the new "Ion" finish. I much prefer the durability of Tennifer. It is well proven to be superior to most all the others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PattonWasRight, Che and Opalizer like this.

3. Opalizer

Opalizer New Member

I own 7 Glocks today and I respect all of them. What is your intended use for the Glock 19? How big are your hands?
    I am 6'2 with large hands and my first Glock was a Glock 19 Gen 2. I used it temporarily because I really wanted a Glock 17 instead.
    When I started competing against other law enforcement officers... I quickly realized the 9mm was great at making crab apple sized holes at 7 yards very easily, yet thenlimetic energy didn't knock down the steel pie plates unless I triple tapped or quadruple tapped the target. This wasted ammo and time compared to a .40 or .45 needing only one round to knock down the pie plate.
    For target shooting and home defense... the longer slide will help with accuracy.
    My Glock 22 Gen 3 is what I have owned the longest and I am most accurate with it over any other handgun I own... unless I am wanting to take headshots (target practice) at 25 yards... then my Glock 35 or 41 is preferred.
    I refuse to own anything older then Gen 3 today. Considering your question... there is many variables to consider. Perhaps it's a good idea may for you to find a range where they rent handguns so you can find what suits you best.
    My carry choice is my Glock 30 with Trijicon night sights... so although my most accurate is my G22, I like others within my arsenal for their

4. Opalizer

Opalizer New Member

So much for editing my post... kinetic energy was a typo above and what I am doing and wearing throughout the year help me decide which Glock will be with me during my activities.
    Best wishes!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Glock Forum mobile app

5. Opalizer

Opalizer New Member

Large hands may not prefer the G19... that is why I asked earlier... try some out and go with what you are most effective with using.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Glock Forum mobile app

6. Welcome to the world of Glocks. I have been shootings Glocks for over 25 years and I love them all. But my personal favorites are the gen 2 and 3. I have shot a few Gen 4's but still I prefer my 2nd and 3rd generation models. I just didn't like the feel of the new grip. And my buddy bought a gen 4 G-19 that had feeding problems. The 2nd and 3rd generation pistols are time proven and all mine have been 100% reliable. Whenever a new generation pistol comes out I wait to see how well they perform over time. As far as for the USA models go, I think there only a few like the G-42 and some G-43's. My advice is to get the gen 3, you will never regret it. good luck and safe shooting my friend.

billt likes this.
  7. grayman

grayman Member

Honestly....G19 Is a good way to go size wise for home defense or carry(If you're so Inclined), It was my first Glock and I haven't regretted It that was 4 years ago

Che likes this.
  8. g30shooter

g30shooter Member

One thing I think I failed to say in my previous post is what others have said ... it's worth reinforcing. A Gen 3 Glock anything is still gonna be a fine handgun ... don't feel like you have to get a Gen 4 or 5.

Che, grayman and billt like this.
  9. Che

Che Member

#2 = NO.

I am in CA and I am okay with my Glock 19 Gen 3 and 10+1. If you really want to think outside the box get a Glock 38 in 45 GAP and its 8+1. The Glock 38 is the same size as the Glock 19.

10. stillvistalite

stillvistalite New Member

I noticed that you are a new member to Glock forum as am I. I would like your opinion on a subject important to me and many others. If you conceal carry in your state you must have a permit. What do you do if you go visit realitives in a state that does not recognize your states' license? Do you instantly stop carrying or become public enemy #1? I'm not asking you to to give me a truthful answer but I can't be the only criminal in this country that I fought in Vietnam to defend!
    Your thoughts please!

11. grayman

grayman Member

Well you can see If that state's Constitution provides for open carry, of course I don't know If you need to be a resident.
    Of course It would be nice If they created a federal CCW so we wouldn't have to worry what state we were In "looking at you New york,California" and a smattering of other states.

12. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Active Member

I'm just curious ... say I live in CA and then travel to visit a friend in a real, free state. That friend gives me some regular capacity mags for a holiday present. I then return back to CA with the mags.

I'm now a felon?

13. grayman

grayman Member

make you a felon....Yeah I think It kinda would

14. BlackGuns4Fun

BlackGuns4Fun New Member

Everybody knows that the murders, rapists, drug dealers and gangsters all comply with the 10 round magazine size limit. After all - it's the law. So think of it as putting everybody on a level playing field...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Glock Forum mobile app

15. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Active Member

Note that law making possession of hi cap mags in CA was hip checked to the sideline, otherwise, mere ownership would make you a criminal

Now thou, I'm not sure ... I think family members can give each other 'grandfathered' pre ban mags, but I'm not at all sure

16. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member

The way I understand it, yes.

17. Fiat

Fiat New Member

Well, gents, I went to the range this morning and here's the report.

I rented a Glock 17 and a Glock 19, both Gen 3, and bought fifty rounds of range ammo (brass case FMJ reloads). I also had 50 rounds of aluminum case CCI Blazer FMJ.

The G17 and G19 are beautiful guns. Beautifully simple and beautifully easy to shoot. If there was a difference in recoil, it was slight. The 17 might have felt just a little more steady than the 19. Also, the 19 had a much lighter trigger. With regard to function, I had no problems cycling range reloads through the 17. With the 19, I got a stovepipe on the brass ammo, and several FTFs with the aluminum case ammo. Note: My range does not guarantee that their rental guns are OEM stock, so I think I am safe in saying that the lighter trigger on the G19 was due to the fact that someone had done some "improvements" to the gun. Whether or not the FTFs were also due to some unknown modifications to the gun, others can say better than I.

Here's the bottom line: I didn't fall into ergonomic love with the Glock grip. Perhaps because I have small, girly hands. Well, somewhat small. Anyway, while I had no trouble hitting the targets, I did not feel I was gaining any advantage with the way the gun fit my hand.

Your thoughts are welcome. :)

18. stillvistalite

19. stillvistalite

In this case, I wish that the federal Constitution would Trump states rights and allow everyone their God given 2nd amendment right to defend themselves!

20. g30shooter

g30shooter Member

The Glock grip is not for everyone. If you do not like the feel of the gun it'll become a safe queen at best. Of the two which did you prefer? Which would theoretically meet your needs the best? Whichever one that is, I would rent that model, and shoot another 50-100 rounds through it. If your impression of the gun is the same, then I wouldn't buy it unless you just had to have at least one Glock. Otherwise, if I were you, I would conclude that Glocks were not for me. Did you try a subcompact (26/27) or the 43?

Just one man's perspective ... hope it helps - thanks for your candid update.