256 gb Ssd vs 540 standard tb drive

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mwdenko, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mwdenko

mwdenko New Member

Ohio
    I am having a difficult time trying to decide if I should get a xps dell with a ssd drive with 256 gb. Or the standard 1tb 5400 drive

I would like the space of the 5400. But it seems that the hard drive would be the slowest part of the system.. Why have 8gig of ram and a screaming processor and have a slow drive?

I may have answered my own question... Lol.

Any one have any thoughts?

2. cvitter

cvitter New Member

5400 RPM is really slow for a desktop when you don't need the power saving advantages.

If you can afford the SSD get it for your OS and Applications and then get a secondary drive (larger, slower, cheaper) for longer term data storage of items you don't access frequently.

You will see the difference in performance.

3. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

The question is do you need the speed or the capacity? I have 300GB WD velociraptor that is one of the fastest mechanical HD's ever made & I still have about 120GB empty space.

FYI mine's a 2.5 yr old i7 with 8GB memory that I've built myself & it still rocks.

Also you can get them both. Use the sad for your OS & application drive & use the 1TB for swap file, temp folders & all your data.

Cheers.

4. I'd choose the one with the biggest flux capacitor!

[​IMG]

5. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

[​IMG]

:D J/K, LOL!

6. mwdenko

mwdenko New Member

Ohio
    Now that's funny... Flux compasitor

7. mwdenko

mwdenko New Member

Ohio
    Thanks. I think I'm going with the ssd. Faster cooler etc...

I'll get an external for all the misc junk.

8. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication!

Newegg baby. Bought all my components for my first build there. No ssd though. Maybe in the future