10mm factory hunting ammunition

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Squints08, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Squints08

Squints08 New Member

After all of the discussion on the Glock 20 vs 40, I purchased the 40. Now, it's time for another conversation. What is the best 10mm factory load for deer sized game? I've read about jhp and cast bullets but I'm looking for advice with firsthand knowledge behind it. Thanks and I look forward to this discussion just like all the others.

2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! Here's some links.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=125_178

https://underwoodammo.com/shop/10mm-auto-220-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose/

Underwood has other offerings. Just linked to one of them.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=114

I missed the first hand knowledge part. Apologies. I had to shoot an elk I hit once with my 21sf. Took 3 shots of 230gr Federal HST's to finally kill it. I started carrying my 20 fishing after that incident.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Fr0man likes this.

3. yep380

yep380 Member

I'm interested in this as well. I have a G20 and would like to know about ammo for deer and black bear.

Been looking at the underwood and double tap offerings.

4. ddown

ddown Member

Remember Hardcast is a lead bullet Glock states no lead bullets can cause barrel tp kaboom from leading.

5. ddown

ddown Member

Sometimes a 50 cal 300 grain does the same or a rifle they run 100 yards. Best way to stop them head shot that's it.

6. wildbill45

wildbill45 Member

10mm is not a good hunting rifle for big game of any sort

In some states FMJ bullets are not permited for deer hunting. Federal Ammo 10mm Trophy Bonded bullets only have 400 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards ... not good enough! The 30/30 which is NOT a powerful rifle cartridge by any means has 1200 footpounds at 100 yards. 1000 footpounds is the standard minimum for 100 yards. I don't know why pistol guys think the 10mm is so powerful, it is not by any standard in the hunting field. Then some think of hunting bear, good luck. All animals have been killed by a .22 at one time of another But that is not a good hunting as well!

7. Lucian_253

I hit that Elk with a H2 Hummer with a 23' boat on back. Then put 3 230gr HST's in it's head. That elk didn't want to die.

8. Should have hit it with an H1. Lol

9. TomLi

TomLi New Member

hi,hillo,it is great。

10. Three points:

1. Just because some state puts out some law the FMJ's are not allowed for hunting doesn't mean they are the wrong choice for it. Law makers and logical hunting/gun laws do not belong in the same sentence

2. I'm not sure why you think a hunter is going to shoot 100 yards at a deer (way too far for MOST). Most handgun hunters I know hunt like bow hunters...same technique and distances.

3. Hunting "standards" are based mainly on perceptions, and they vary greatly between locations. Many will tell you a 30-30 is a poor moose caliber, or a .223 is a bad deer caliber, but reality is MANY thousands of each have been taken by both guns.

As in all shooting to kill, shots must be placed in vital areas for quick kills. Caliber is secondary, and bullet construction plays a major role in penetration. A 10MM broadside lung shot with a FMJ @ 100 yards will easily punch through a rib and both lungs and should exit the other side of a 200 lbs deer. You don't think that will kill it?

Definitely not advocating such a shot by anyone who is not a seriously accomplished marksman, and even then, it is probably less than ethical.

But is entirely doable.

11. Never pistol hunted but did with bow. Goal was to hit vital organs and punch through both sides making the biggest hole so it bled out quickly. You expected the deer to run. Rarely would they drop dead where shot.

If I were to use a pistol and I've seriously consider it then I agree it would be at bow distances and choose ammo that will penetrate through both sides so it bleeds out quickly. Hard cast or Xtreme Penetrator would be my choice. Hard cast is cheaper and heavier and penetrates better. Not convinced HP gets the job done better than hard cast.

Something to consider on XP. Being constructed of copper it has the best chance of continuing its path without alteration should it hit bone. Why it's a better choice for barrier penetration. Granted a well placed shot should not meet bone.

12. Lucian_253

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  13. wildbill45

wildbill45 Member

Do you know that or have you been told that?

If what you say is true, and you have the skill sets to do it with an FMJ, you probably will not find the deer. This is why many states don't permit the use of full metal jackets, human kills, over penetration which puts other folks in danger, and losing game from the little blood loss. Animals don't just lie down and die for human's convenience, they run for their lives.

They will die if you shoot one with a .22 longrifle rifle in the ribs, since they don't have access to a hospital. This doesn't mean folks should hunt big game with a .22 long rifle. Why do you hunt, to kill or get recoverable food?

14. ishoot4thriLLs

ishoot4thriLLs Member

KY
    If you're not an experienced handgun hunter maybe you shouldn't comment about the subject, wildbill45.

Myself, I've been hunting with handguns since the 1980s and I've been very successful at hunting and humanely killing whitetail deer with .357 Sig, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, and .44 cal. black powder revolver. Never lost a single deer with a handgun nor even came close to losing a deer with a handgun. I now hunt with a 10mm G20 with a six inch barrel that has plenty enough power and accuracy to humanely dispatch a whitetail deer.

And, yes, lots of times a deer shot with any gun will just go "lie down and die" when mortally shot with any gun, be it a rifle, shotgun, pistol, etc. I guess you probably don't approve of my weapon of choice in archery hunting as being a longbow either?

Fr0man, SeventiesWreckers and DAVEF like this.
  15. Squints08

Squints08 New Member

This message is for ishoot4thrills because he has first hand experience with hunting with a 10mm! Would you please tell me what ammunition you use and if it is factory loaded? Even if it is handloaded, what bullet do you put in it? Specifically the weight and bullet type. Thanks!

Fr0man likes this.
  16. ishoot4thriLLs

ishoot4thriLLs Member

KY
    Yes, I do hunt with a 10mm but I've yet to fire a round at a deer with it. But, it's ballistics are very similar to and even exceed a .357 magnum(of which I have killed deer using) with several loads. Actually, 10mm is closer to the performance of a tried and true .41 magnum on deer size game animals, when using the hottest factory loads or comparable reloads.

But, to answer your question, I currently load up with the Sig Sauer Elite 180 grain JHP factory load which advertises at 1250 FPS (624 ft/lbs). I have chronographed it extensively and I am getting an average of 1264.8 FPS (639.47 ft/lbs) from the stock G20 4.6" barrel and 1342.6 FPS (720.33 ft/lbs) from my LWD 6.02" stainless barrel. Accuracy is superb with this ammo from both barrels. This is well within my personal minimum of 500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy for handgun hunting deer size game.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Fr0man likes this.
  17. Squints08

Squints08 New Member

Excellent information! Thank you! Now I have another question for you if you don't mind. When placing a shot on a deer with a 10mm handgun, do you go for through the shoulder blade or just behind the shoulder blade?

18. ishoot4thriLLs

ishoot4thriLLs Member

KY
    Definitely behind the shoulder, midway up, aiming for the center of the lungs.

Fr0man likes this.
  19. GlockHowdy

GlockHowdy New Member

Another shot placement question from a KY native. If you have a quartering shot on either side in the front, would a shoulder hit with a 200 or 220 grain wfn hard cast be effective? In the interest of transparency, I am not a deer hunter but a bit curious.

I do have an interest in hog or boar hunting some day with a 10mm and hope to check that off my bucket list soon.

Fr0man likes this.