Glock Forum > Glock Forums > Glock Forum > Slide won't lock to the rear after last round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Jwilliamstech

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just saw that it is happening with all of your mags so that might not the issue. Inspect your slide stop with an empty mag and see if it forces it up to engage the slide catch. It should be a pretty simple diagnoses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
GlockfanAZ

Liked 117 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

I had this same problem with my XDM 9mm. It only happened with the cheaper PMC 115gr ammo. Every other brand I have used, even some other 115gr ammo worked fine.

Have you tried different ammo and still had the same issues??

Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
RROCSO

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockfanAZ View Post
I had this same problem with my XDM 9mm. It only happened with the cheaper PMC 115gr ammo. Every other brand I have used, even some other 115gr ammo worked fine.

Have you tried different ammo and still had the same issues??
It could have been the range ammo. I don't use my own ammo for re-qualification shooting. Come to think of it, I have never had this happen with my own ammo, so that is likely the problem. There have been some good suggestions here. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #14
reagan

Liked 75 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROCSO
I was at the range for a re-qualify and went through several mags of ammo. Every time I fired the last round in a mag, my Gen3 G17 would not lock the slide to the rear. I can manually lock the slide to the rear.

I've fired hundreds of rounds through this G17 without this issue. I also have two .40 Glocks and have never encountered this problem. Does anyone know what the possible cause is?

Sorry if this issue has already been discussed here. I did a forum search and could not find a thread on this topic.
My new G23 gen 4 did the same for the first 100 rnds, seemed as every other mag....then it just locked back every time....but i was more conscious of my grip...everyone suggested to shoot away and give it some break-in....I am more inclined to believe it was the grip.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
Speed3

I have large hands. When I grip my G23 and G27 with two hands my strong hand thumb touches the slide stop and my weak hand thumb touches the slide lock lever. After the last shot the slide does not lock open. I had to change my grip with my strong hand thumb against the pistol grip in the indentation as if I was firing with one hand and the weak hand thumb over the top of that thumb. Now the slide locks open after the last shot. Does anyone know how I can modify the slide stop so it can't be bumped so easily? An extended slide stop still touches my thumb.

grip-1.jpg   grip-2.jpg  

Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #16
RROCSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
I have large hands. When I grip my G23 and G27 with two hands my strong hand thumb touches the slide stop and my weak hand thumb touches the slide lock lever. After the last shot the slide does not lock open. I had to change my grip with my strong hand thumb against the pistol grip in the indentation as if I was firing with one hand and the weak hand thumb over the top of that thumb. Now the slide locks open after the last shot. Does anyone know how I can modify the slide stop so it can't be bumped so easily? An extended slide stop still touches my thumb.
Thanks! I will check my grip the next time I'm at the range. I shot both my G17 and G23 the same day. I did not have any issues with my G23, just the G17. So I'm inclined to think the 9mm range ammo was the culpret. Regardless, I'm watching my grip from now on.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #17
TNFrank

Liked 263 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 228

That second pic with the weak hand thumb over the strong one and the strong thumb being lower like that is how I shoot. I also shoot out of a modified Weaver Stance too. Even though I've owned a few 1911a1's over the years I never got into the habit of the high thumb/rid the safety style of shooting.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #18
G-23
Premium Member

Liked 156 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Either the mag springs are weak or;
dirty mags or;
grip as discussed.

It's not the ammo. And if you can manually lock the slide back I doubt it is a SSL issue (unless you have taken it out and dicked with it).

Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #19
RROCSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-23 View Post
Either the mag springs are weak or;
dirty mags or;
grip as discussed.

It's not the ammo. And if you can manually lock the slide back I doubt it is a SSL issue (unless you have taken it out and dicked with it).
Nope, I never had it out and dicked with it.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #20
buildit
Another gun nut
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3389 Times on 3042 Posts
Likes Given: 8155

Not sure if it's gun shop gossip but I've heard the edge where the stop holds on the slide can become worn. Usually this is associated with using the release without removing pressure on the stop. Like I said though this may just be gun shop gossip or associated with other styles of slide locks.

Sent thru mind control via psychic friends connection and Mrs cleo!
Pistols were made so you could get to your rifle.

Quick Reply