You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of GlockForum.com    
Glock Forum > Glock Forums > Glock Forum > Not SAFE! 4lb Striker Spring on with a 3.5
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
shootingpar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 1

Default Not SAFE! 4lb Striker Spring on with a 3.5

Wow, had a very interesting surprise at the range today.

Put a Ghost 3.5 connector in my 17. Seller also suggested a 3 spring kit to actually get the trigger pull closer to the 3.5#'s. With the 3.5 connector installed, I also put in a 6# trigger spring, an RP Plunger and finally a 4lb Striker spring. Trigger felt great, so went to the range.

Each time I pulled the trigger the gun shot TWICE. Had a more knowledgeable Gent from the Gun Counter come check it out. Same thing.

Skipping to the conclusion. The culprit was the 4 lb striker spring. Dont go that light. Switched the std spring with the 4 # spring 3 times trying to get a different result. Its the 4# spring.

Easy to test your gun if you add this kit. Dry fire the glock, with the trigger still pulled, pull the slide and slowly release the trigger to see where it resets. If it does what it should, it resets, or in this case it fires. Not good.

Has anyone encountered this?

__________________
shootingpar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
glocker73
GF_SUPPORTER.png
 
glocker73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fayetteville,TN
Posts: 836
Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingpar View Post
Wow, had a very interesting surprise at the range today.

Put a Ghost 3.5 connector in my 17. Seller also suggested a 3 spring kit to actually get the trigger pull closer to the 3.5#'s. With the 3.5 connector installed, I also put in a 6# trigger spring, an RP Plunger and finally a 4lb Striker spring. Trigger felt great, so went to the range.

Each time I pulled the trigger the gun shot TWICE. Had a more knowledgeable Gent from the Gun Counter come check it out. Same thing.

Skipping to the conclusion. The culprit was the 4 lb striker spring. Dont go that light. Switched the std spring with the 4 # spring 3 times trying to get a different result. Its the 4# spring.

Easy to test your gun if you add this kit. Dry fire the glock, with the trigger still pulled, pull the slide and slowly release the trigger to see where it resets. If it does what it should, it resets, or in this case it fires. Not good.

Has anyone encountered this?
I had the same set up as yours on my G26 Gen 4 and absolutley loved the way the trigger felt, but I was getting light primer strikes. So, I reinstalled the factory striker spring, but kept the trigger spring and SP spring and my trigger is still really good!
__________________
"The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"
glocker73 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
shootingpar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 1

Default

Going back to the range to make sure I am correct in the conclusion Im making. Thought I may have done something dumb with the spring but redoing it 3 times with the same result if enough for this engineer to make this assumption. My 17 is Gen 3. With the factory striker spring back in it , i agree its a noticeable improvement.

__________________
shootingpar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
BORIS
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 789
Liked 107 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Default

A different weight striker spring will cause the striker to release again and fire a double. One of the parts that makes the striker release is wrong, not the striker spring.

__________________
BORIS is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
kodiak
 
kodiak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,785
Liked 789 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 616

Default

Is this a carry weapon or a range gun?

__________________
kodiak is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
shootingpar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 1

Default

Boris, you were correct . The gun is still double tapping. Had a certified glocksmith who works at the range , take a look at it . The Ghost connector is faulty. Did the same thing when installed in his Glock . the springs were non issue .

I want to delete this thread and repost what to look for in a connector.

__________________
shootingpar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
EvilD
 
EvilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 723
Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingpar View Post
Boris, you were correct . The gun is still double tapping. Had a certified glocksmith who works at the range , take a look at it . The Ghost connector is faulty. Did the same thing when installed in his Glock . the springs were non issue .

I want to delete this thread and repost what to look for in a connector.
I was just about to post that it absolutely was not the springs. I would call Ghost, I have the same one in 2 different guns and have no troubles with the, I have a Zevtech 3.0 race connector I like better tho.
__________________
EvilD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
Argyle64
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,214
Liked 122 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

It's not your firing pin spring/striker spring. It's your connector. I have had two Ghost connectors go full auto on me while working on customer's Glocks. I won't use them. I use the Lone Wolf connector. You change the angle of the Ghost connector but eventually that angle will change and it'll go auto on you once again.

__________________
Argyle64 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
jmiles50
 
jmiles50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 254
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocker73

I had the same set up as yours on my G26 Gen 4 and absolutley loved the way the trigger felt, but I was getting light primer strikes. So, I reinstalled the factory striker spring, but kept the trigger spring and SP spring and my trigger is still really good!
I agree! I have the exact same set up in my 17 and 26 without ever having any issues.
__________________

J.Miles
NRA Certified Instructor
G17 & G26

jmiles50 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
iGlock
Lead Farmer
 
iGlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,888
Liked 160 Times on 139 Posts

Default

Are talking about the competition spring kit? I was thinking of getting it.

__________________

*All my guns are airsoft*

iGlock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Striker channel liner FYI installation Mike P Gunsmithing 16 05-15-2013 11:13 AM
You just don't realize how small striker spring cups are....... Mike P Glock Forum 10 10-11-2012 05:14 PM
Lightweight striker glocker73 Glock Forum 1 09-26-2012 01:26 PM
NY1 Trigger Spring without Coil Spring Insert. TNFrank Gunsmithing 2 07-09-2012 05:48 PM
Lone Wolf striker EvilD Glock Accessories & Gear 8 06-17-2012 02:04 AM

Glock and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Glock Ges.m.b.H. GlockForum.com is not in any way associated with Glock Ges.m.b.H.