You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of GlockForum.com    
Glock Forum > Glock Forums > Training Forum >

What holster does your ccw ride in, AND do you train speed drawing from that holster?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #21
RNMike
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixG17s View Post
Every other month I shoot an entire Steel Challenge match from IWB concealment with one of my carry guns. That's 39 timed draws for the match on 5 each steel plates at various distances times 5 per stage. Then the other month I'll run the IDPA classifier all from concealment also. Timed and scored. Unless you have a scoring target and a shot timer, you are only imagining that you are fast, but you are not testing it. Most shot timers are about $100. And this is not about competition versus tactics, it's purely about the mechanics of shooting quickly and accurately. I can get to .89 seconds from, an IWB concealed draw, putting 2 in the A zone at 5 yards while stepping back on a random start timer. I belong to three private clubs, and practice CCW with my G31, G19 or S&W M&P Shield, all from an Alabama Hooker IWB kydex holster. My 357SIG loads are a 125 gr going about 1,440 fps and for the 9mm, a 125 going about 1,300 fps.

If you don't belong to a private club, and your local range does not let you practice using a shot timer on a scored target, then find your nearest IDPA match and shoot that as practice for CCW. The rules require drawing from concealment (can be an IWB, but most guys run OWBs), using cover, tactical and retained reloads, engaging in sequential or tactical priority, with 6 stages per match, and they scenarios are always different.

Here's the challenge setup (195 rounds), and the (new) 72 round IDPA Classifier (used to be 90 rounds)

https://steelchallenge.com/media/stage-diagrams.html

http://www.idpa.com/compete/stagedetails/39

http://www.idpa.com/compete/stagedetails/40

http://www.idpa.com/compete/stagedetails/41

Now this guy "IS" a genuinely fast, and tactical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDXjk6itaIw
SON OF A BITCH SIX...I wish I lived close, I'd love to train with you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #22
RNMike
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Oh and yes. I carry my G26 AIWB in a Vedder Light Tuck. I practice unloaded at home weekly, and at the range biweekly, family schedule dependent. I don't have a shot timer yet, but it's my next purchase.

Last edited by RNMike; 04-26-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #23
wildbill45

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
You don't draw on a gun already drawn.
Not most of the time, but, and there always in a but in life, you may have no choice one day. I have, and some others have as well, done just that ... mine in training, another by an FBI Agent who did it to save his life and killed the guy (that has been a while before most here were breathing). A fast guy drawing can do it faster than an average guy's reaction time, and then action time. It has been done, and if you and yours are going to die, and given no choice, what else should you do?

Old 04-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #24
wildbill45

Quote:
it was high noon and they yelled Draw as if to attack me.
You may not find it so funny one day if you are ever attacked by a target that shoots back!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #25
wildbill45

Quote:
So, Bill, after all that, do you actually shoot any sanctioned competition matches?
Fair question. Yes, I have. In three World Police & Fire Games, I garnered 12 medals. The competition was worldwide, with 60 countries competing, shooting events had over 800 competitors from the World over, with some countries sending their Olympic shooters. I medaled in PPC Pistol, small bore rifle, large bore, and Palma rifle out to 900 yards in Austrailia. Fun times had by all.
File Type: jpg TargetMaster2.jpg (215.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg LastAmericanCowboy.jpg (215.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg At500Yards.jpg (51.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 900Yards.jpg (368.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg MeMate&I.jpg (161.4 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by wildbill45; 04-26-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #26
Puros

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill45 View Post
You may not find it so funny one day if you are ever attacked by a target that shoots back!
Two points, 1. You know I haven't been attacked by a target that shoots back?
2 I wonder if you believe you live in the old west, where you will most likely save Old Man Johnsons farm from the heinous outlaws and win his daughters heart in marriage. <---- see how easy it is to pretend you know someone that you don't?

For the most part I was just teasing you. I do think you are completely wrong in trying to dissuade people from using Training aides that give verifiable results.
You may be God like in your prowess, able to measure your draw, hits, spread, etc all in your mind. The rest of us need help.

BTW: That's a sharp rifle man. What is it?

Last edited by Puros; 04-29-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:42 AM   #27
Lucian_253
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 926 Times on 809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puros View Post
Two points, 1. You know I haven't been attacked by a target that shoots back?
2 I wonder if you believe you live in the old west, where you will most likely save Old Man Johnsons farm from the heinous outlaws and win his daughters heart in marriage. <---- see how easy it is to pretend you know someone that you don't?

For the most part I was just teasing you. I do think you are completely wrong in trying to dissuade people from using Training aides that give verifiable results.
You may be God like in your prowess, able to measure your draw, hits, spread, etc all in your mind. The rest of us need help.

BTW: That's a sharp rifle man. What is it?

Looks like an older version of a rifle my buddy who shoots for Team Canada uses. He competes long distance rifle. Iron sights only.

ImageUploadedByGlock Forum1493512951.859482.jpg

Old 05-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #28
Retired1
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 57 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 302

I have carried OWB holsters, with a forward cant, at 3 o'clock, on and off duty for over 40 years. I sometimes carry crossdraw of a BUG or a BUG in an OWB on my left side, but under stress, my instinct always makes me go to the 3 o'clock strong side looking for a grip.

This is my EDC holster of choice. It is 20+ years old. It was custom made for me. It has been refinished several times. The visible portion is still excellent. The back side of the belt has many stress cracks in it, as does the thumbbreak strap, but they are still pliable. The maker is long out of business. I have many holsters for my Glocks, but this is the one I use most.

My experience notwithstanding, I still often practice draws from various positions. I feel this is especially important to me as my body has gotten overweight and I do not have the dexterity I had when I was younger.

What holster does your ccw ride in, AND do you train speed drawing from that holster? - Training Forum

Old 05-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
Gandof
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Yeah, I use a timer. Only drawing when someone yells "draw" will get you killed on the street!

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. (Winston Churchill)

Quick Reply