You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of GlockForum.com    
Glock Forum > General Discussion > Knives, Swords and Sheaths >

Stroping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Graf

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

Default Stroping

Any tricks to it? Do's and don't see? I've read very light pressure is key, and of course maintain angle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Greywood
If you have enough confidence every zoo is a petting zoo !
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I personally like the green,black,and white compounds by Bark River and DLT trading strops. I start with the blade facing me and go from tip to bottom of the blade in I'll say an arching motion and once I get a burr up I'll switch sides. The way I do it I actually pull metal down and rather than remove metal to gain an edge. This method will also give you a convex edge which will roll before it will chip so you get a much stronger edge.
Black,then green,white is more for polishing but can get that edge mighty sharp if you spend the time with it.
Also it helps to heat the leather stop up and the compounds when first applying them.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Graf

Thanks for the reply, got my strop yesterday immediately started using it. After about a dozen passes I took my knife from shaving hair sharp to wicked sharp WOW!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Greywood
If you have enough confidence every zoo is a petting zoo !
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 148

The strop is my favorite method of sharpening by far!!!
You can't even mess the blade up unless you really wanted to and then it would still take effort. You can even use the inside of your leather belt for touching up or a piece of cardboard with the compounds on it in a zip loc bag work for hiking,in the car/truck,ect.
If you ever do roll the edge very fine sandpaper used and secured to your strop will fix it quickly using the same motion I described for sharpening.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Graf

It's addicting thought I was as sharp as I could get, dang whole new level had ALOT of knives to bring up to par. Got the wood with leather attached the bought the regular barber style strop

kennydale Likes This 

Quick Reply