You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of GlockForum.com    
Glock Forum > General Discussion > General Firearm Forum >

Your Loved Ones: Fer ya or agin ya?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
johneli2

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Your Loved Ones: Fer ya or agin ya?

My wife hates the fact that I love guns. She opposed my buying my Glock up until the moment I left the house on my way to the gun broker.

I was born and raised in the country. I had use of my father's many pistols, revolvers, and long guns since the age of 12. The proximity of our nearest neighbor was measured in football fields.

My wife, contrarily, was born and raised in the city. Houses separated by driveways. Claustrophobic. Lack of sidewalks induced panic attacks.

My idea of the perfect day: Going out hunting with my dog Mickey. Her idea of the perfect day: Going shopping.

You get the picture........................................... ....................................

DOES YOUR FAMILY SUPPORT YOUR LOVE OF FIREARMS OR HAVE (DO) THEY MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT? (IE. MUMBLE INAUDIBLES ON YOUR WAY TO MAKE A FIREARM-RELATED PURCHASE? COLD SHOULDER? ETC.

OR ARE YOU ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES WITH FAMILY PARTICIPATION?
PattonWasRight Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
PattonWasRight

Liked 388 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Tell the Mrs it's just a hobby, no worse or expensive than golf. A LOT cheaper than a mistress, LoL!

My wife tolerates it, doesn't mind, but will periodically employ it as a reason to buy expensive stuff of her own.

She works and makes decent money, so I don't take any exception to her 'needs' to redecorate, etc
Part-Time Sales at Major Firearms Retailer
mustangman40 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
rbbeers
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 413 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 679

My daughter (a teacher) was very strongly 'anti-gun' until her late 30s.

Several years ago, the sad events of 'school gun violence' prompted a family discussion during which I asked her what she would do if she saw a gun on the ground. Since she had no training, what would she do? Would she touch it? Would she leave it there for someone else to take? If she picked it up, would she do so safely? If it was loaded, how would she 'make it safe'? And, on and on...

Well... I made her mad... and that was the end of the conversation... or so I thought.

A few days later, she approached me and said she wanted to know how to 'make it safe'. I told her that I would teach her, but only if she learned how to safely handle a gun. And, if she agreed, I would take her to the range to teach her the different handguns and long guns that I own. She didn't have to shoot them... just load and unload them... safely.

She agreed.

And, now she's a very good shooter... so are the grandkids.

As an aside, a few years ago, she 'sighted in' a new rifle scope for the husband of one of her friends. She rather enjoyed that!

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited by rbbeers; 02-17-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: 'Cleaned up' post.
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
johneli2

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
Tell the Mrs it's just a hobby, no worse or expensive than golf. A LOT cheaper than a mistress, LoL!

My wife tolerates it, doesn't mind, but will periodically employ it as a reason to buy expensive stuff of her own.

She works and makes decent money, so I don't take any exception to her 'needs' to redecorate, etc
LOL! My wife just invoked my gun purchase to buy a pair of expensive shoes. They must all read from the same playbook: "Things To Bring Up When You Want to Make An Expensive Purchase."

Old 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
johneli2

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbeers View Post
My daughter (a teacher) was very strongly 'anti-gun' until her late 30s.

Several years ago, the sad events of 'school gun violence' prompted a family discussion during which I asked her what she would do if she saw a gun on the ground. Since she had no training, what would she do? Would she touch it? Would she leave it there for someone else to take? If she picked it up, would she do so safely? If it was loaded, how would she 'make it safe'? And, on and on...

Well... I made her mad... and that was the end of the conversation... or so I thought.

A few days later, she approached me and said she wanted to know how to 'make it safe'. I told her that I would teach her, but only if she learned how to safely handle a gun. And, if she agreed, I would take her to the range to teach her the different handguns and long guns that I own. She didn't have to shoot them... just load and unload them... safely.

She agreed.

And, now she's a very good shooter... so are the grandkids.

As an aside, a few years ago, she 'sighted in' a new rifle scope for the husband of one of her friends. She rather enjoyed that!

Best regards,

Bob
A great story with a great ending. Your daughter is refreshingly agreeable and open to new ideas.
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Garrett

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneli2 View Post
My wife hates the fact that I love guns. She opposed my buying my Glock up until the moment I left the house on my way to the gun broker.

I was born and raised in the country. I had use of my father's many pistols, revolvers, and long guns since the age of 12. The proximity of our nearest neighbor was measured in football fields.

My wife, contrarily, was born and raised in the city. Houses separated by driveways. Claustrophobic. Lack of sidewalks induced panic attacks.

My idea of the perfect day: Going out hunting with my dog Mickey. Her idea of the perfect day: Going shopping.

You get the picture........................................... ....................................

DOES YOUR FAMILY SUPPORT YOUR LOVE OF FIREARMS OR HAVE (DO) THEY MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT? (IE. MUMBLE INAUDIBLES ON YOUR WAY TO MAKE A FIREARM-RELATED PURCHASE? COLD SHOULDER? ETC.

OR ARE YOU ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES WITH FAMILY PARTICIPATION?
My story is similar. Grew up in the country, closest store was 30 miles away. Raised rabbit beagles with dad, hunted and fished from the time I could walk.
Wife grew up in a city, never held a gun till she met me. I made her come shooting with me when we were 18. Surprisingly she wanted to shoot my 270 first. Set up a target at 100yds and she was cutting bullet holes. From that moment on she's loved guns.
Here's my Valentine's Day gift she got me. She knew I'd been wanting a gen 2 s2k for a while. I guess I'm blessed, she'd rather spend the day at the range then go shopping.
File Type: jpg IMG_2709.jpg (40.2 KB, 85 views)
Fogey Likes This 
Old 02-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
johneli2

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
My story is similar. Grew up in the country, closest store was 30 miles away. Raised rabbit beagles with dad, hunted and fished from the time I could walk.
Wife grew up in a city, never held a gun till she met me. I made her come shooting with me when we were 18. Surprisingly she wanted to shoot my 270 first. Set up a target at 100yds and she was cutting bullet holes. From that moment on she's loved guns.
Here's my Valentine's Day gift she got me. She knew I'd been wanting a gen 2 s2k for a while. I guess I'm blessed, she'd rather spend the day at the range then go shopping.
Lucky guy.....
Fogey Likes This 
Old 02-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
chowser51

Liked 217 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Exwife hates guns. It's a constant argument about the kids being around guns. My kids have been shooting since they could hold a gun.

Ex-Girlfriend loves guns. In fact, she took one of mine as her carry weapon. She's gifted me two guns (SIG 1911 Ultra TwoTone and an MPX pistol) in the last year so I'm good. It's going to be warm tomorrow, we plan on taking my kids out shooting.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
ukcats

Liked 42 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 66

My wife has 3 of her own pistols, so, I'm good!
Fogey Likes This 
Old 02-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
crankypants

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 160

My family is pro-gun. My wife doesn't have much interest in going target shooting, but my daughters love it. The wife does support me, though; she is comforted by the fact that I have the tools and ability to protect the family.
Romans 1:16
I am not ashamed
People Like This 

Quick Reply