Glock Forum > General Discussion > General Firearm Forum > at what age should you introduce your children to firearms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
joebrendle09

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default at what age should you introduce your children to firearms?

I have a four, two and one year old. I have a gun safe in my garage and my oldest seen my rifle. At what age should you teach your child about guns.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
M1dniterider

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts

I've talked to my 4 year old daughter about guns not being played with and how dangerous they are. Mine are never out where my daughters can get to them, but I can't guarantee that they'll never run across one somewhere else. With that in mind, when my little girl noticed my pistol and asked about it, I had a talk with her about never playing with a gun. I'm pretty sure she got the message, as she was hesitant to come take a closer look after I checked it safe and asked if she wanted to look.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
jhelms

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I started shooting a .22 at age four. Got my own at age 6. But I grew up in a hunting family and safety was number 1 and strictly taught around my house. My grandpa made me a fake gun out of a piece of wood and a broken cane pole. Once I could handle it safely then he let me shoot bb guns then move up. It's up to your discretion on what they can and can't handle.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
jimmyalbrecht
Glockn Rollin

Liked 213 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1dniterider View Post
I've talked to my 4 year old daughter about guns not being played with and how dangerous they are. Mine are never out where my daughters can get to them, but I can't guarantee that they'll never run across one somewhere else. With that in mind, when my little girl noticed my pistol and asked about it, I had a talk with her about never playing with a gun. I'm pretty sure she got the message, as she was hesitant to come take a closer look after I checked it safe and asked if she wanted to look.
Make sure not to scare here. My fiancés sister won't touch a gun because her father told her to never play with or touch them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"You cannot legislate evil out of the hearts of men."

Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Williker
CSI

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 180

If you have guns in the house, you should "familiarize" everyone in the family with them as soon as they are old enough to understand what it is and how it works. I'm not saying to go out and shoot. For that you should wait till you think the child is responsible enough to follow safe directions. They have to be able to understand that pointing the rifle at the dog and going "Peww Peww" even if pretending is not safe and to be tolerated.
Most children, even girls will get a kick out of shooting, and it takes all of the mystery out of what the things do and they will be less likely to "go looking" for them when you are not around.

G27
G23
G29 SF

Lifetime NRA (Life of Duty) Member

Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
txproud

Liked 93 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I first did Eddie the Eagle at 4. We also tried to prohibit toy guns in the house (in laws and grandparents weren't very helpful) to prevent distraction and miscommunication. I let my younger son shoot my M4 sitting in my lap when he was also between 4 and 5. Buying my first Glock triggered another long conversation about what is real and looks real. My older son has helped me on the last couple Basic courses I've taught to Scout Troops.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Power
Proud Owner

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My 8 year old daughter can shoot the 22's (pistol and rifle) but not letting her shoot bigger until she is ready. I clean my guns in front of her and the 3 year old, letting them handle them after ensuring they are safe and no ammo nearby.

Can't make guns taboo, they must be able to see and touch them. Otherwise their curiosity will drive then to handle them unsupervised.

Let them hold the guns and teach them about safety. Probably a good idea to start them off with a bb gun or cork gun to learn the basics.

-Power

Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
deepthinker

a pellet gun , that's how I started with my grandpa

Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
malladus

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My son (8) and daughter (2) have been around my guns since birth. They both help how they can with most aspects of my hobby and are very interested in shooting. All my weapons except my EDC are in the safe unless getting packed for match or trip to the range. The EDC goes into its on locked place at night but is on me the rest of the time. I always use their interest to help teach safety. They also know that they don't touch or handle them without my okay and supervision. My son also knows what to do at friends and elsewhere should a gun turn up.

Started my son shooting at about 4 with me helping, then by 6 he was running the gun himself. He regularly goes to matches with me and helps when I RO a squad or stage. He understands the rules of gun safety better then some folks I RO and has called more then a few folks out at matches for safety issues. The regulars in my squad help reinforce that and back him up if some folks don't like being reminded about safety by a kid. He is always polite about it as well.

He takes it all very seriously as he wants to shoot competitively and realizes he won't unless he shows he is safe and in control. Right now we are working towards him shooting his first steel match this summer with a .22 revolver I am building for him and his first GSSF match in December this year.

Growing up both my parents came from homes with firearms but my mom refused to have guns in the house. My best friend was the same way and I remember how it was when we found his grandpas guns a d some of the dumb stuff we did until we got into marksmanship in the scouts. I definitely don't want my son or daughter to figure out guns that way or with the help of a friend who is showing off dads pistol.

malladus

Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
CCSir

Liked 311 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 670

When they are old enough to understand the difference between right and wrong and understand what the word "no" means.

Each child will be different. You have to judge when is the right time. My dad wouldn't let me touch a real gun until I was able to recite his rules of gun safety and could show proper safety with my toy guns. His house, his rules. I was about 7 or 8 when I fired my first gun and even then they were never taboo in our house. I knew that if I wanted to see one all I had to do was ask and he was more than happy to be their and supervise while I was handling them. I never went to get one on my own until I was around 12 or 13 and he said it was ok. I was pretty aware of what the consequences would have been had I done that before I was aloud.

Good luck.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

President - John F. Kennedy

Quick Reply