Glock Forum > Glock Forums > What Glock Should I Get > help me choose a Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
s2gots

Default help me choose a Glock

Hi, this is a great site I just found, it was adverstised on one of my automotive forums I frequent. I found this site just at the right time too!
I have been wanting to purchase a glock for some time now, but I just wasent sure which one would suite my needs best. Heres a little back ground on me, and what I would want in my Glock..My family and I have always been game hunters. Ive been around firearms my whole life. I only own rifles and shotguns, but have handled/fired handguns before.
What I want is a handgun I can carry with when I go big game hunting. Not to hunt with, just to carry with me in case of a wounded animal, or for extra protection. If im going to be out in the wilderness for a few days on end, I want something strapped on to me, not just my rifle.

Now, I have been reading alot of the threads on this forum, and what caught my interest was the fact that the barrels on a few high caliber models can be interchanged to fire more economic rounds, such as 9mm when out at the range. This interchangability of barrels would be something I would like to have also.

Im going to be new to the ownership of a Glock, (handgun in general) and the reason I want a Glock is because if its simplicity, and reliability. If someone on this forum can send me in the right direction of telling me what would suite me best with the info I provided, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
jonm61

Liked 77 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Well, if you're only going to carry it while hunting, then a full size gun makes sense and really just about any caliber will do. It's been a while since I've looked into it, but I want to say the 20 in 10mm is the one that can be converted into the most calibers. I know the 20 can be converted to shoot .40, .357Sig, 9mm and IIRC, .400 Corbon. With the 20, you can also get a 6 inch hunting barrel, should you decide to hunt with it later.

The least expensive option would be to just get the 17 in 9mm and leave it at that, because every caliber conversion requires at least a barrel and in the case of going from a 10mm/357/40 to 9mm, you also need magazines.

I happen to be a 10mm fan, so I'd buy the 20, but it's a handful for sure. If you have a range where you can rent various guns, the best idea would be to go shoot some and see what you like the best.

When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.

Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
MadGool Likes This 
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
M22

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

For a general purpose do-it-all I like the 22. It's a full size .40 s&w and with a conversion barrel and magazines one can shoot 9mm as well. Having 15rd (17rd in 9mm) capacity is great and if you live in a ban state (like me) pre-ban mags are readily available. 180gr hollow points will take care of most dangers. I would have no reservations about drawing on a yote or mountain lion if needed. 45s are great but limit capacity and 10mm ammo runs close to $30 a box where I am, and it is a hot hot round. You can't go wrong with a Glock.
Good luck!
Drew

Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
s2gots

I'm not concerned about carrying a full size. It will be mainly hunting, and at the range. When I first started browsing for glocks, I liked the 22. But from what's been said, the 20 might be my best bet.
Thanks for the replys, and I'm anxious to hear some more!

Last edited by s2gots; 01-02-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Birddogyz
Cookie Moderator
GF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4594 Times on 3891 Posts
Likes Given: 2448

I have the G20 for the specific use of carrying as a back up while hunting. If you are going to use it for target I would look at the G22 for a great all around purpose. I use the G22 for CCW and home defense. the 10mm ammo can be hard to find.

"Support Gun Control, Use Both Hands"
Member of GSSF & NRA

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124697246@N06/
http://www.scottgibsonstudios.com

This message has been read and approved by the NSA, FBI, ATF, IRS, DOJ, DHS, KFC, and DQ.
rynobiker Likes This 
Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
jonm61

As far as 10mm ammo, http://georgia-arms.com/10mm-1.aspx is rarely out of stock and isn't bad at $20/50 rounds. Some of their stuff is new and some is factory reloaded in once fired brass. It's marked, and priced, accordingly.

When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
s2gots

For 1 'general purpose' gun to handle a few different tasks, wouldn't the gun with the most interchangeability be the way to go, in this case the g20, as Jonm61 has said it can be converted the most?
Unless the frame for the g20 is massive compared to the g22? Like I said, I don't mind carrying a full size when hunting, but I don't want to strap a cannon on me!!
I have to wait until shops open this morning to see if anyone has the g20 to go look at it, but I don't recall seeing any a few weeks ago when I was browsing around.
Thanks again for all the help. The few people I've talked to at the gun shops have been real D-bags. Unless your ready to buy right then and there, there not real helpful.

Last edited by s2gots; 01-02-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
jfirecops

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

The G20 is slightly larger than the G20, and both have conversion barrels for them. The G22 only has 40 s&w, 357 sig, and 9mm barrels. The G20 can convert to 40, 357, or 9 x 25 Dillon.

If you may hunt with it, the 10mm is the better choice. If not, whatever you like is the better choice.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Birddogyz
Cookie Moderator
GF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4594 Times on 3891 Posts
Likes Given: 2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm61 View Post
As far as 10mm ammo, http://georgia-arms.com/10mm-1.aspx is rarely out of stock and isn't bad at $20/50 rounds. Some of their stuff is new and some is factory reloaded in once fired brass. It's marked, and priced, accordingly.
The Gun Club I am a member of stocks the Atlanta Arms and Ammo brand. I have been very pleased with their stuff so far. With my discount I get it for about $18.00 per 50.

"Support Gun Control, Use Both Hands"
Member of GSSF & NRA

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124697246@N06/
http://www.scottgibsonstudios.com

This message has been read and approved by the NSA, FBI, ATF, IRS, DOJ, DHS, KFC, and DQ.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
jonm61

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2gots View Post
Unless the frame for the g20 is massive compared to the g22? Like I said, I don't mind carrying a full size when hunting, but I don't want to strap a cannon on me!!
It's a little a bigger. There is also the 20SF, which has a smaller grip circumference. For me, the 20 is a little big, but the 20SF is more manageable.

The 22 would probably be 2nd as far as caliber change options, and there are only a couple of calibers that the 20 can take but the 22 can't. It really comes down to whether or not you want to be able to access those heavier calibers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogyz View Post
The Gun Club I am a member of stocks the Atlanta Arms and Ammo brand. I have been very pleased with their stuff so far. With my discount I get it for about $18.00 per 50.
Atlanta Arms stuff is good too, but they don't sell direct to the public like Georgia Arms does. That's the only reason I choose one over the other.

Quick Reply