Glock Forum > Glock Forums > What Glock Should I Get > ammo Cost 9mm vs. 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
geeteeohh

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default ammo Cost 9mm vs. 40

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a G23, but also considering a G19. I keep hearing the cost of 9mm vs. 40 S&W ammo is a point to consider.

In reality, when you guys go to the range to pratice, how many rounds on average do you go through? I just dont see myself going through a couple hundred rounds every week or two.

The difference in cost doesn't seem too high when considering the higher quality ammo. Do most people take the cheapest rounds they can find when going to the range?

Thanks....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
fireman06

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't own a gun yet at all but have shot a load if different calibers and the ammo price between a 9 and a 40 is like 2 bucks per 50 rounds. But either case is your life worth a few dollars saved on ammo? Just my opinion. But to be honest if Glock had a 45 auto in the compact size not full size or subcompact id jump on that in a heartbeat lol

Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
jimmyalbrecht
Glockn Rollin

Liked 213 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Here's the thing, buy a Glock 23 and Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. Buy a Glock 19 magazine, and you have the best of both worlds. 9mm when you want it and .40 when you want it. You can also shoot .357 with a Glock 32 barrel and the same magazines. That is why I bought a 23.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Ogre

9mm is a world wide popular caliber. Will you be able to get .40 as easy as you would get 9mm in a SHTF situation? But that's another issue altogether. When it comes to self defense however the paramount issue is will you be able to hit your target? With that in mind it won't matter if it's 9mm or .50cal. A miss is worthless no matter the caliber or cost.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
JHC

Definitely hands down without any doubt the 9mm is the smarter choice.
Cheaper training ammo
Easier to learn to hit with fast and accurately.
Easier to work strong hand only and weak hand only
With premium self defense ammo it has been found to be the peer of the .40 insofar as terminal ballistics. With the one caveat that .40 and .45 heavier rounds provide better barrier penetration again auto glass and doors etc. This later is principally a LE issue. Handguns are not powerful. None of the service calibers are anyway. They are just remote control drills. Ignore all discussion of knock down or stopping power. Those are discredited concepts from the ballistic dark ages. The people who do this for a living have got this all documented around the web. Search on "DocGKR" and you can find all the documentation on one board or another. Bullet placement is paramount and that demands skill.

If you just plan to shoot 50 rounds every month or two and are satisfied with the modest level of skill that imparts, odds are (I think) you can probably defend yourself in many situations. If you have the other components of mindset and tactics under control.

If you really get into the art/game whatever and want to develop the skill to shoot a sub-7 second or sub-6 second FAST drill or sub-10 second El Presidente or pass "The Test" (10 shots from 10 yards in 10 seconds at a NRA 25 yard bullseye with minimum 9 of 10 in the 10 ring) you will probably need to be shooting 100-150/week minimum. For a good spell.

btw The Test was explained by Ken Hackathorn as the entrance exam Larry Vickers created for candidates to SFOD-D for them to pass in order to remain in the unit.

Last edited by JHC; 02-10-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
JHC

Back to more of your OP - even 100 rds a week can provide outstanding training value but plan it and work on skill development. Not just dumping rounds without focus.

For training there is no reason to buy other than the lowest cost fmj ammo from a major brand: Remington, Winchester, Federal, Speer, Magtech, I've been satisfied with all of those for training purposes.

That's based on a 6-15K rounds/year habit. Depending on circumstances.

Near where I live I can buy a 1000 round case of 9mm training ammo for under $200 right now. For smaller bite sizes, Walmart seems like a consistent good source.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Mike P

Liked 657 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post

Near where I live I can buy a 1000 round case of 9mm training ammo for under $200 right now.
Where at in North GA? The cheapest deal I've found close is at GT Distributors which is 1000 PMC for $219-ish.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
geeteeohh

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hey thanks for the advice to all. I kind of like the option of a Lone Wolf barrel in a G23 - may have to do that.

And I really appreciate the advice on putting time in at the range focusing on skill development. I started out just wanting a handgun for target practice, but lately my focus has been on carrying it for self-defense. I spend a lot of time in the woods, sometimes going alone on hikes, etc. Last year there was a grow operation busted in one of the areas I go four wheeling. The thought of stumbling across something like that has been in the back of my mind ever since.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
lauritzencl

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, the barrel option is nice as it is like having 2 guns that are identical (except for recoil). I think the lone wolf conv. barrel is only like $109.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
JHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Where at in North GA? The cheapest deal I've found close is at GT Distributors which is 1000 PMC for $219-ish.
This magnificent 10K sq foot gun store along 400 in Dawson Co. Currently Speer 115 grain Blazer is $180 for a case (1000). Everyday price of Gen 3's new is $469.99. Some great shooting guys work there. Shooters.

http://400jewelryloan.com/

Quick Reply