You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of GlockForum.com    
Glock Forum > Glock Forums > Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights >

Quick Question About These Sights I "Modified" (Pic included)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
skyboundpilot

Default Quick Question About These Sights I "Modified" (Pic included)

Hello. I'm new to Glock Forum (as a member). Although I've read MANY posts on this website for a while, I decided to join tonight and make my fist post! I've owned my Glock 23 for about a year now and am just now able to spend more time shooting it.

In researching Glock sights a while ago, I decided to go with the diamond Speed Sights. They work really well for me, but I have a question for those of you who are more experienced in fire arms than I.

There seems to be two main types sights on the market (other than ghost rings, red dots, etc)....the Heinie types sights (or the XS Big Dot style), and then the typical 3 dot sight variations (like my Speed Sights). I'm very curious as to why there is no company that makes a hybrid sight of those two styles? (a "four" dot sight). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this offer the best of both worlds? Or at least allow someone to use one or the other, depending on the situation?

If this is difficult to picture in your mind, I uploaded a pic of my "modified" Speed Sights so that you all can see what I'm talking about. This "modification" is NOT a working modification- it was just something I did real quick just to get an IDEA of what something like this would look like when aiming. I also did this so that I could post a pic online to see what experienced users think. This is NOT a permanent mod.....yet. While looking down these "modified" sights, it seems to make it easier and quicker for me to line up. I simply use the middle triangle point to quickly, and roughly, line to the front diamond bottom point (the way I would with Heinie sights). And then, for more accuracy, I can use the rear diamonds and front the way they're intended to be used (the way I would with 3-dot style sights).

If anybody here on the forum would mind speculating as to why nothing like this exists on the market, and the possible downsides to something like this, please feel free to respond. It just seems to me, a hybrid style like this, would allow the best of both worlds. I am, however, probably missing a very important aspect and I'm going to be embarrassed for even thinking of this and posting the question with a pic.

I look forward to being a part of the community!

File Type: jpg SpeedSights.jpg (41.6 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by skyboundpilot; 01-11-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
SixG17s

Liked 255 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Magic sights are no substitute for the fundamentals of pistol:stance, grip, (front) sight picture and trigger control. I've never seen any shooter in competition, USPSA/IDPA or Steel Challenge, use those sights. Reason is they don't work for speed and accuracy. Simple sight pictures are best.

Quick Question About These Sights I "Modified" (Pic included) - Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights

Quick Question About These Sights I "Modified" (Pic included) - Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights

Old 01-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
rbbeers
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 663

Sight preferences seem to vary widely.

Personally, I prefer plain black sights, like these.

Nonetheless, my guess is that if enough people wanted the sight system you've presented, someone would make it. So, 'demand' simply may not be sufficient to do so.

Best regards,

Bob

Old 01-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
PattonWasRight

Liked 369 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 234

To me sights are an individual thing, kind of like asking "what's the best way to have sex?"

To me, that looks a bit busy, too much to do for speed & SD shooting at least.

That said, maybe with time I could do well with those for accuracy shooting.

Everyone's eye/brain coordination works a bit differently. See if they work for you and your friends, you never know, could be effective.
Part-Time Sales at Major Firearms Retailer

Old 01-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
skyboundpilot

Thanks for the responses so far. If anybody else would like to chime in on this, please feel free.

I would like to state, in response to sixg17s, I am in no way saying that I believe in "magic sights". I know sights are a personal thing and training is way more important than the style of sights. But there is no denying that there are people out there who really like Heinie type sights (or Big dot sights) for their speed, but hate them for their accuracy. Then there are people who love the accuracy of 3 dot sights, but hate the speed (of course they could shoot even more and get quicker). What I'm imagining is something that's fast like the XS big dots if used one way, but accurate like 3-dot if used another way.

My main question was to why you all think they don't make a hybrid sight so that people can use the Heine style when they want, and the 3 dot when they want. Obviously there IS a demand for each style separately. I'm just wondering what the possible drawbacks would be if BOTH these styles are put into one sight.

But again...I'm sure I'm still missing something here.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
rbbeers
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboundpilot View Post

But again...I'm sure I'm still missing something here.
Personally, I think you may not receive the concept support you're seeking.

The three responses posted so far share one common element... simplicity.

"Simple sight pictures are best."

"... plain black sights..."

'... that looks a bit busy, too much..."

It seems to me that's what you're missing... shooters typically want 'simple'.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited by rbbeers; 01-12-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: 'Cleaned up' post.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
GringoPistolero

Likes Given: 3

As many have already said, sights are very much an individual preference. Those "speed sights" are way too busy for me even without your additional dot. I want a front sight I can see, and a rear sight that doesn't distract from that. Back when 3 dot sights started getting popular, I would paint over the dots or use the old spray-on "sight black" to give a standard black sight picture.

These days my old eyes do appreciate something to help me see the front sight. Fiber optic or a good night sight on the front with a black rear is my favorite setup.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:46 AM   #8
kennydale

Liked 388 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 840

I like the simplicity of the XS Big Dot Sights for my 66 year old eyes.
File Type: jpg G17 XS Big Dot(a).jpg (35.2 KB, 68 views)

Old 01-23-2017, 01:04 AM   #9
kengrant

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am 79 yrs. old and tried many different sights on my Glocks over the years , night sights included.
I have found the stock Glock sights work the best for me but as I get around to it I will replace the plastic sights with steel ones that match them.

Some of my older Glocks have night sights that have dimmed and I have painted the whole front sight white and that works as well for me.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
PattonWasRight

Liked 369 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengrant View Post
I am 79 yrs. old and tried many different sights on my Glocks over the years , night sights included.
I have found the stock Glock sights work the best for me but as I get around to it I will replace the plastic sights with steel ones that match them.
Good point. I for one love the stock Glock sights ... the "drop in the bucket" just works for me. I get the "itch" to try new sights often, however, whenever I go shooting that itch goes away because I think for fast, combat accurate sights, the dot in the "U" works for me.

I do take a peek at the sights being used by others at the range, to see if anyone has something I'd like to try. So who knows, maybe I'll find something better, but for now I'm sticking with stock Glock.

Part-Time Sales at Major Firearms Retailer

Quick Reply