Glock Forum > General Discussion > Second Amendment & Legal > And so it begins!!! Media the new law maker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
buildit
Another gun nut
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3333 Times on 2994 Posts
Likes Given: 8044

Default And so it begins!!! Media the new law maker

Quote:
December 23rd 2012 a New York Newspaper Printed the names and addresses of every Licensed Pistol Permit holder in two Counties and another County is being posted shortly!
I don't know if it is true or not but if it is this is going to be ugly and sooner than I would have ever thought because liberals will force the issue on us against our will. If using the first amendment rights to try and kill the second is there new idea, it was a really bad one!

http://amiglobalsecurity.com/breaking-ny-paper-publishes-gun-permit-holders-names-in-print-online/

Quote:
“The gun -owner has an added responsibility to take all measures that their firearms do not fall into the hands of such miscreants. Beside the natural precautions, they cannot permit themselves to fall hostage in trade for access to their firearms locks.”

” If the homeowner is killed or injured, will LOHUD be charged as an accomplice to the crime?”

“It is as if they put out an ad to jewel thieves listing the names and addresses of where to find diamonds and cash.”

“This is CRAZY!! why in the world would you post every licensed gun owner information?? What do you hope to accomplish by doing this? This is the type of thing you do for sex offenders not law abiding gun owners. What next? should I hang a flag outside my house that says I own a gun?”

“Now everyone knows where the LEGAL GUNS are kept, a valuable piece of information for criminals. Why don’t you do something helpful, like trying to find out where the ILLEGAL GUNS are kept? That would be helpful to the non-criminal population”

Sent from my 20 year old technology using keys with letters printed on them over phone lines older than I am.
Pistols were made so you could get to your rifle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
buildit
Another gun nut
GF_SUPPORTER.png

And suddenly I am very happy to live in Ohio.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/your-right-to-know/2011/09/police-videos.html?fb_action_ids=310650282369330&fb_actio n_types=og.recommends&fb_source=timeline_og&action _object_map=%7B%22310650282369330%22%3A10150396996 780465%7D&action_type_map=%7B%22310650282369330%22 %3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Quote:
In 2007, the law was changed to forbid the release of names to reporters, who now can only view the lists; they are not allowed to take notes.

Sent from my 20 year old technology using keys with letters printed on them over phone lines older than I am.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
CSINEV

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In Nevada AB 143 is now Law and this information is private! Thank you Nevada

People Like This 
Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
RRoss
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
GF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1113 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 1828

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I don't know if it is true or not but if it is this is going to be ugly and sooner than I would have ever thought because liberals will force the issue on us against our will. If using the first amendment rights to try and kill the second is there new idea, it was a really bad one!

http://amiglobalsecurity.com/breaking-ny-paper-publishes-gun-permit-holders-names-in-print-online/
I'm utterly horrified by this.... The fact that a publication would think that they can get away with this is infuriating. I hope that they are sued into oblivion.

" A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
-George Washington-
CCSir Likes This 
Old 12-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Danzig
Mediocre at Best Member
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 2132 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoss
I'm utterly horrified by this.... The fact that a publication would think that they can get away with this is infuriating. I hope that they are sued into oblivion.
I was thinking the same thing. If anyone is victimized from this info dump, I hope they are sued out of existence and noted by other media.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Samiq

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Now if I were a criminal I'd like this report. Tells me which houses are safer to rob... The ones that are not on this report!
I hope all non-gun owning homes that do get burgled sue this publisher from now until they are bankrupt.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
buildit
Another gun nut
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Searched the web a bit. Apparently it's not the first time papers have tried this tactic. It has been met with many states (red states) passing laws to protect the information. No mentions of law suites being filed but then it's the media, they certainly protect their own.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
txproud

Liked 93 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Can't sue the paper for publishing public information. Sorry folks, it's public information. In addition, the have a thing caused "Absence of Malice" which gives them broad latitude in providing information to the community. That is unless you want to call a Constitutional Convention to rewrite the darn thing.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
buildit
Another gun nut
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Yep and it's not the first time it has happened.

2011 - Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has issued a letter instructing state police to release the names of authorized gun owners in Illinois to the press, the Associated Press is reporting. State police had initially denied the AP's request for a list of Illinois residents with a Firearm Owners Identification card on the grounds that disclosing the names would violate the privacy of gun owners.

2009 All the reasons the Memphis Commerical Appeal use to defend its publication of names of gun owners who are carrying concealed weapons are pretty lame. Seems to me the arguments raised against the newspaper are pretty valid.

2011 A list of nearly 5,200 names of gun permit owners in Des Moines, Iowa was published on Thursday in the Des Moines CityView paper, sparking privacy concerns among the residents. In the article titled “Who’s Packing” the names of those who filed for a gun permit under the new Iowa gun law are listed in alphabetical order.

2007 An Ohio newspaper's decision to publish the non-public records of concealed carry permit holders drew a strong response, and one gun rights advocacy group published personal but public information about the newspaper's editor.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
CountryMick
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 596 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Why would the article never mention the paper that published this information? I looked for the article title that the OP link quoted, and the results all pointed to a lohud.com website, not to a NY paper.

I know a NY paper did this quite some time ago (at least a year ago, maybe longer), and the information was removed very quickly following public outrage. Sounds to me this is a fake story based on past events. If it isn't fake and it's happened again, I ask the OP to please provide a link to a NY publication that currently has this information online for people to look at.

Quick Reply