Glock Forum > General Discussion > Ammo & Reloading > Storing Ammo in Ammo Cans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
bryanbrescia

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Exclamation Storing Ammo in Ammo Cans

Alright, so I have been doing some research, and to me, it is clear that storing ammo in ammo cans is the best way to store mass amounts of ammo.

Now, in each ammo box, I plan to put large silica gel packs in to keep down humidity, and keep the ammo in their original boxes, and stack up the boxes in the cans.

I have seen some people throw loose rounds in an ammo can, and personally, I dont think it's a smart idea because of the wear and tear that your ammo can take.

And also, labeling everything should be considered too... lol

Thoughts/ comment/ suggestions on this topic?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
Happysniper1

Liked 1196 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 1630

If you wipe some vaseline on the rubber gasket of the ammo can lid, it will help keep the rubber compound supple and last longer against drying out and cracking, breaking the seal. Just a thought.

Here's another: since I reload, I pack loaded ammo in heavy duty plastic bags, and put those into the ammo cans, with dessicant packs I have collected from medicine bottles and such. For rifle (.223) ammo, I pack 500 rounds at a time into a bag, and in they go into the metal ammo cans.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
bryanbrescia

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

^ yeah the vaseline is a good idea, didnt think of that

Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Happysniper1

I've been stockpiling my own reloads for years. I now have enough 9mm, .40SW, .38SPL and .223 to fight a small war, and enough .45ACP to clean up after it!

And all of the ammo goes into ammo cans....yep, sounds right to me!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
glock_dude

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about having them already loaded in Magazines?

I've heard pros and cons about leaving ammo in magazines for long periods of time but i do know that the design of springs to always go back to original length. When they compress they will always spring back to original legth/height.

What are your takes on that?

This would also go to leaving loaded magazines in a bug out bag.

G17 gen1, G17 gen4, G23 (w/GTL22 light & laser), G27 gen3, G38 gen3, G39 gen3 and Mec-Tec 9mm carbine w/G17 gen3 frame.

GSSF Member/NRA Member

Glock Certified Armourer

GCA Member (Garand Collectors Association)

Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
MySafetyMyFinger

[QUOTE="glock_dude"]What about having them already loaded in Magazines?

I've heard pros and cons about leaving ammo in magazines for long periods of time but i do know that the design of springs to always go back to original length. When they compress they will always spring back to original legth/height.

You can cause spring failure, next round want load/cycle properly for the pickup to get it, if you leave them fully loaded for a long period of time like a few years. But it still wouldn't happen often. Best idea if your worried about the spring is....if you want some mags loaded is simply to short them by one round. This takes a lot of the compression stress off the spring.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
MySafetyMyFinger

Summery: springs will be fine but better if you short'em a round.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Happysniper1

Over time, any magazine's spring will loose its tension if left loaded, resulting in anything from refusal to feed the last round to erratic feed issues.

Loading less than the maximum number of rounds will certainly help.

Have spare magazines in storage will also help, really long-term. You can even load a couple mags to full cap now, carry them around a coupla months, then swap those out with a couple mags in storgae, eventually rotating thru your magazines. Just a thought...

Old 03-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
mlawrence

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysniper1
Over time, any magazine's spring will loose its tension if left loaded, resulting in anything from refusal to feed the last round to erratic feed issues.

Loading less than the maximum number of rounds will certainly help.

Have spare magazines in storage will also help, really long-term. You can even load a couple mags to full cap now, carry them around a coupla months, then swap those out with a couple mags in storgae, eventually rotating thru your magazines. Just a thought...
Very true. Magazines will last a long time loaded, as I saw in my experiences in the armory for six years, but every once in awhile a magazine just has a bad spring. You most certainly want to rotate them though. Also many people neglect to clean their magazines. Keep that in mind as well.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
BORIS

Liked 107 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysniper1 View Post
If you wipe some vaseline on the rubber gasket of the ammo can lid, it will help keep the rubber compound supple and last longer against drying out and cracking, breaking the seal. Just a thought.

Here's another: since I reload, I pack loaded ammo in heavy duty plastic bags, and put those into the ammo cans, with dessicant packs I have collected from medicine bottles and such. For rifle (.223) ammo, I pack 500 rounds at a time into a bag, and in they go into the metal ammo cans.
Vaseline deteriorates rubber.

Quick Reply