You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of GlockForum.com    
Glock Forum > General Discussion > Ammo & Reloading >

Range ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 AM   #11
GPerfection

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts

Keep in mind that some indoor gun rangers may not allow steel or aluminum cased ammo, the local one near me don't.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #12
Lucian_253
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 847 Times on 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPerfection View Post
Keep in mind that some indoor gun rangers may not allow steel or aluminum cased ammo, the local one near me don't.

I wonder why? They don't want to have to sort the steel and aluminum from the brass? Which most take to scrap yard for extra money.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
rbbeers
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 397 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian_253 View Post

I wonder why? They don't want to have to sort the steel and aluminum from the brass? Which most take to scrap yard for extra money.
It's my understanding that resellers and scrapyards pay less for containers of mixed metals (cases). Consequently, it would cost the range either labor to sort or lower scrap values if steel and/or aluminum cases were mixed with brass... so many ranges may not allow steel and aluminum cases.

The used case resellers from whom I buy appear to have contracts with specific ranges across the country and it wouldn't surprise me if some of those ranges restricted shooters to brass cases only. That being said, I really don't know that to be fact.

For what it's worth...

Best regards,

Bob

Old 01-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #14
Lucian_253
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 847 Times on 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbeers View Post
It's my understanding that resellers and scrapyards pay less for containers of mixed metals (cases). Consequently, it would cost the range either labor to sort or lower scrap values if steel and/or aluminum cases were mixed with brass... so many ranges may not allow steel and aluminum cases.

The used case resellers from whom I buy appear to have contracts with specific ranges across the country and it wouldn't surprise me if some of those ranges restricted shooters to brass cases only. That being said, I really don't know that to be fact.

For what it's worth...

Best regards,

Bob

My best friends family owns a scrap yard. I used to help out when I had time for extra money. You are exactly right. All brass would fetch the most money, followed by aluminum. Steel was only bought in 500 pound increments. So if you brought in a mixed it would sell as dirty brass. Which is considerably less money per pound. A few of the local gun ranges would bring in buckets of all brass in for scrap price.

I'm sure they have contracts with reloader's also. They were probably bringing in the cases that the reloader's didn't want.
rbbeers Likes This 
Old 01-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
Audioph1x

Liked 100 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian_253 View Post
Yeah they want to bag it as brass and send it to freedom to get cash towards ammo. They are literally telling you to collect ("sweep all brass and place in buckets") the brass and put it in buckets. That's all the work right there..they just drive it away.

The indoor ranges here I believe take theirs to Atlanta Arms for cash on reman ammo.

Quick Reply