You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of GlockForum.com    
Glock Forum > General Discussion > Ammo & Reloading >

Bullet Velocity vs Bullet Expansion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
Shahman

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Question Bullet Velocity vs Bullet Expansion

Hello Glockers,

I'm curious about your thoughts. For self defense purpose, and assuming you're defending against humans and not bears, which of the 2 variables is more important - velocity or expansion?

I just bought my first and brand new Glock (19 Gen 4); and was thinking about getting Barnes TAC-XPD ammo, I noticed that at 115gr, it's a lighter bullet and also has less velocity than some of the others.... what are your insights/ experiences....etc?

-S

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
radelahunt
Glock 19/43 Fanatic (Always Carrying)

Liked 247 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Send a message via Skype™ to radelahunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahman View Post
Hello Glockers,

I'm curious about your thoughts. For self defense purpose, and assuming you're defending against humans and not bears, which of the 2 variables is more important - velocity or expansion?

I just bought my first and brand new Glock (19 Gen 4); and was thinking about getting Barnes TAC-XPD ammo, I noticed that at 115gr, it's a lighter bullet and also has less velocity than some of the others.... what are your insights/ experiences....etc?

-S
Usually, mentally, I go with expansion. To me penetration is a given and i won't accept anything that penetrates less than the FBI standard, and since i only shoot 9mm, velocity is usually 1000 fps and over.

Last edited by radelahunt; 05-27-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Shahman Likes This 
Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
DGLOCK

Liked 120 Times on 100 Posts

I think you should look more at penetration than velocity or expansion, although both will effect the latter.
Shahman Likes This 
Old 05-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
os-wiz
Have Gun, Will Carry

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Penetration is more important. Read the FBI study on terminal performance: http://looserounds.com/2014/09/21/fbi-9mm-justification-fbi-training-division/
IDPA (CCP)
People Like This 
Old 05-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
walkingwolf

Liked 286 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I concentrate on shot placement.
People Like This 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
DGLOCK

Liked 120 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by os-wiz View Post
Penetration is more important. Read the FBI study on terminal performance: http://looserounds.com/2014/09/21/fbi-9mm-justification-fbi-training-division/

Good read! I agree.. It's definitely about penetration and shot placement. I think the FBI is making a wise decision and hopefully it will save lives.
Shahman Likes This 
Old 05-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
ras47

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Put 'em where they count and the rest is academic.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
Shahman

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Thanks for all your posts. I also checked out the link/article -informative, and 'logical'. I currently have Barnes TAC-XPD in my 9mm and .45; while I saw Barnes on the list for 9mm it said 'loaded by corbon' and one other. Does anyone know anything about the Barnes for the 9mm/45, the TAC-XPD series that is?
The 9mm is a '+p' round, but I also believe it's a 115gr.

Curious for any of your thoughts??

Thanks
-S

Old 05-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
G1923
AK171920

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by os-wiz View Post
Very informative article!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
DAVEF

Liked 218 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahman View Post
Hello Glockers,

-S
What I look at is a factor of velocity, bullet construction, and weight. I look for enough penetration, preferably 14" or more in bare gelatin, but no less than 12". Preferred velocity is bullet construction and bullet weight specific. For example, the Barnes Tac-XPD 9mm is loaded extremely light even though it is listed as a +P load. TNOUTDOORS9 tested it and had an average velocity of only about 1060fps out of a Glock 19. Penetration was too little for my preferences at 10" +. However, Corbon's load with the same bullet was chronographed by the same tester at 165fps faster (1225fps). That load performs much better and penetrates adequately. Other bullets will often expand well and penetrate deeper at standard pressure velocities rather than higher +p velocities. Some loads, such as Hornady's Critical Duty will penetrate barriers better at +P velocities. In my 9mm's I carry the Hornady Critical Duty +P as penetration tends to be better while still obtaining good expansion and good barrier blind performance.

I would avoid the Barnes ammo and stick with one of the other loads that have tested well in bullet weights of 124gr or more. Federal HST, Hornady Critical Duty, or Speer Gold Dots work well and can be purchased online for about $27 a box of 50 rather than about the same price for 20 of the Corbon DPX or Barnes Tac-XPD.

Last edited by DAVEF; 05-27-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply