You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of GlockForum.com    
Glock Forum > Glock Forums > Glock Accessories & Gear >

Just coated slide with ceramic engine enamel!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #21
glockyourdoor

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard_Washington View Post
Cool deal, in to see the longer term wear. Post some pics if you see any holster wear.

So far absolutely no signs of holster wear! Im extremely satisfied with the outcome of this!! Ive had about 4 people try as well and they love the finish it gives as well and durable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #22
judgecrater

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Paint can be pretty tough.

I painted an old beat up M14 fiberglass stock with high temp BBQ flat black knowing that it would chip and scratch but could be touched up easily. After many, many outings I am still waiting for the first sign of wear.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #23
glockyourdoor

Well its been over a full month now with the ceramic engine enamel project on my gen 4 19's slide and my report is that it is holding up exceptionally well so far! No holster wear of any sorts, it hasn't caused any malfunctions of the weapon( since i coated the under side portion of the slide as well) just dirtied up a few internals during the initial break in period. I also fed about 500 rounds at the range within about 45-60 minutes to warm it up pretty good and the paint held up without a flaw still....I highly recommend this to anyone on a budget or someone looking to add aesthetic appeal to a worn firearm of sorts. I am though uncertain as if i will eventually attempt to use the product on the polymer frame though. i did coat a glock brand iphone case i purchased a while back but cant locate it to see how it is today. If you have any questions or concerns on this project feel free to comment or private message me.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:05 PM   #24
SixG17s

Liked 231 Times on 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywood View Post
I would think the heat treatment on the barrel and slide well everything meter would change and not for the good. It would become weaker and possibly brittle.
Just from what I know about metal and heat treatment I wouldn't touch that firearm. I'd hope my NRA insurance would cover it and get a new one.
You'd have to take mild carbon steel to over 1,600 degrees F for annealing followed by case hardening at the same temperature. The frame is Nylon 6/6 which will melt at around 520 degrees F, so it never saw over that. And it's not just the exposure temperature, it's the total time at temperature.

Last edited by SixG17s; 12-24-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #25
ViscountGreystoke
pew pew pew
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is pretty cool. Probably going to end up doing this. Ive used this paint alot for touch ups on car work and stuff like that so im definetly a fan. Ill post a pic of it if i do end up doing it.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #26
Ravens87

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockyourdoor View Post
Well its been over a full month now with the ceramic engine enamel project on my gen 4 19's slide and my report is that it is holding up exceptionally well so far! No holster wear of any sorts, it hasn't caused any malfunctions of the weapon( since i coated the under side portion of the slide as well) just dirtied up a few internals during the initial break in period. I also fed about 500 rounds at the range within about 45-60 minutes to warm it up pretty good and the paint held up without a flaw still....I highly recommend this to anyone on a budget or someone looking to add aesthetic appeal to a worn firearm of sorts. I am though uncertain as if i will eventually attempt to use the product on the polymer frame though. i did coat a glock brand iphone case i purchased a while back but cant locate it to see how it is today. If you have any questions or concerns on this project feel free to comment or private message me.
Could you post some updated pictures? I am thinking of doing this to my g43 or shield.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #27
glockyourdoor

ImageUploadedByGlock Forum1484072241.617514.jpgImageUploadedByGlock Forum1484072334.967428.jpg sorry if its a little dirty i havent had much time to clean it in the past couple weeks but heres pictures taken two minutes ago

Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #28
PattonWasRight

Liked 334 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Thanks, looks good, in the top pic, perhaps some wear on the top edge of the slide, or is that just the pic?
Part-Time Sales at Major Firearms Retailer

Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 AM   #29
glockyourdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
Thanks, looks good, in the top pic, perhaps some wear on the top edge of the slide, or is that just the pic?

Must be the pic it has no flaking or chipping or wear anyplace yet.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #30
Ravens87

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Have you been carrying it this whole time?

Quick Reply