Hillwig Tool Universal Site Pusher Giveaway!
Glock Forum > Glock Forums > Glock Accessories & Gear > hydro-dipping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Screamin_99

Default hydro-dipping

I knew some people on here offered the service... Who's had their gun dipped? I want to get my G22 dipped and I can't remember who did the service.

I just want to know more about longevity and shooting/handling, how to clean the gun once it's been dipped and so on and so forth. Also how well does it hold up on the handle/grip? I think my main question is, I have to ship my gun using a FFL to someone at their local FFL?

Also who has had the end of their gun barrel engraved and where did you go for that, and do I have to send this using a FFL? I figured this could be sent via regular mail, but I just wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
dutchs
Just a guy with some guns
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6117 Times on 5151 Posts
Likes Given: 7128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin_99 View Post
I knew some people on here offered the service... Who's had their gun dipped? I want to get my G22 dipped and I can't remember who did the service.

I just want to know more about longevity and shooting/handling, how to clean the gun once it's been dipped and so on and so forth. Also how well does it hold up on the handle/grip? I think my main question is, I have to ship my gun using a FFL to someone at their local FFL?

Also who has had the end of their gun barrel engraved and where did you go for that, and do I have to send this using a FFL? I figured this could be sent via regular mail, but I just wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance!
Argyle Armoring does the Cerakoating. I don't know if that is the same as Hydro-Dipping but I do know he does a great job! Here he is

http://argylearmoring.com/
John Adams 1826

If you ever hear anything come from me that is worthwhile please credit my Grandma (RUTH)

Old 08-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Danzig
Mediocre at Best Member
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2605 Times on 2127 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Lone wolf does barrel laser etching;
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/products.aspx?CAT=242
A barrel is not a firearm and can be sent in the mail with no restrictions. Some of the other custom Glock accessory vendors offer laser etching services. Shop around for the best price and choice.

Name:  image-2949779250.jpg
Views: 16144
Size:  18.7 KB

Old 08-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
dwcfastrice
GF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1060 Times on 888 Posts
Likes Given: 1537

Send a message via MSN to dwcfastrice Send a message via Yahoo to dwcfastrice

NOt sure any of the current vendors do it, but you can do it yourself. (google "My dip kit,. hydroprinting kit")

I have seen the stuff from Nortwest Hyrdroprint and it is top notch. They usually run 4-6 weeks out through. They do all kinds of stuff.

Seems to hold up to normal wear and tear.

D

Old 08-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
unit44justin

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 13

His is a previous thread about dip kits.
http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f11/camo-dip-kits-glock-100/
**WARNING** all posts made by nukingfuts29 are more than likely 100% wrong and should not be taken as sound advise.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
dwcfastrice
GF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1060 Times on 888 Posts
Likes Given: 1537

Send a message via MSN to dwcfastrice Send a message via Yahoo to dwcfastrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit44justin
**WARNING** all posts made by nukingfuts29 are more than likely 100% wrong and should not be taken as sound advise.
+100000000 on that.

If it didn't hold up, you wouldn't see the process used as widely as it is.

D

NRA Certified Instructor

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, remains and is immortal."- Mason Albert Pike

Click here to join the FIGHT TODAY!

http://www.facebook.com/cdcllc

Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
Ntolerant

Exclamation Strongly advise against hydrographics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin_99 View Post

Thanks in advance!
I work at a firearms store that offers hydrographic dipping, Duracoat and Cerakote. This is a no joke, DIY bathtub kit BS system. The owner sunk a lot of money in the hydro tank/certified etc... The whole town seems to have had at least one gun "dunked" especially guys buying firearms for their wives. "Can I get this in a pink zebra pattern, please?" UGH! While the work and look offered is EXTREMELY professional I cannot advise strongly enough against hydrographics! Maybe for people who just want to show off their gun or have a "safe queen" but to put it very plainly it is little more than very thin wall paper with a clear coat! If you burn through even a mild 100 round training session you will see some muzzle peeling, and if you make it through a range session OK then you will definitely wear and tear it the FIRST time you clean it. If you are going to use any coating system on a Glock (or any other gun for that matter) use Duracoat or Cerakote and have it done professionally! You WILL NOT get it right the first time, that is if you are even a slight perfectionist. I recommend none of the above unless you have major wear and tear (which adds character if you put it there), but if I were to have any of the above done it would be Duracoat. While it will not stand up to rough abrasive cleaning for too long, you can at least have it patched up nicely. Cerakote is by far the best and toughest, but once any piece chips it will start to flake off in that area and spread like cancer. Cerakote is a baked on ceramic and it is tougher and more scratch resistant than any coating offered, but it is still an unflexible coating on something that moves with explosive bursts, and it WILL eventually chip or flake in one area. When Cerakote chips or flakes there is no touching-up. The whole thing has to be redone. So far there, in my encounters, there is no such thing as a tough as nails coating that can stand up to the abuse any better than Tenifer. Until there is a coating that is tough as nails and allows for a little flexibility too, then there is no hope for a lifetime job. I have high hopes for RF85 as it IS part of the metal itself, though it is still in its early stages in firearm usage and is not offered in multiple colors. We may see a time when it is offered in multiple colors, but it will have to come from the factory this way, once again, as it is actually part of the alloy.

The bottom line is that nothing is impervious to holster wear and tear, cleaning and usage... Once again, keep your eyes peeled for developments in RF85.

Last edited by Ntolerant; 03-28-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Quick Reply