Glock Forum > General Discussion > Gunsmithing > Fast Fire sight cut dimensions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
huntercole
 
huntercole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Likes Given: 1

Default Fast Fire sight cut dimensions

Does anyone have their slide cut for a burris fast fire and some calipers? I'm looking to do what lone wolf refers to as a "slide melt". I run a mill at work and have access to a cnc mill as well so I'm pretty sure I can do it my self. I'm looking for the depth of the milled out portion as well as the depth of the tapped holes for the mounting screws. I don't want to go down to far and weaken my slide. Thanks for any help.

-Hunter



__________________
huntercole is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
chuckds
Certified Glock Armorer
GF_SUPPORTER.png
 
chuckds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenfield, IN
Posts: 4,653
Liked 736 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercole
Does anyone have their slide cut for a burris fast fire and some calipers? I'm looking to do what lone wolf refers to as a "slide melt". I run a mill at work and have access to a cnc mill as well so I'm pretty sure I can do it my self. I'm looking for the depth of the milled out portion as well as the depth of the tapped holes for the mounting screws. I don't want to go down to far and weaken my slide. Thanks for any help.

-Hunter
You don't have to have the slide cut to install a Burris, a mount is made for Glock.


image-3637835674.jpg

My 17L


__________________
chuckds is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
ANIMAL!!!
GF_SUPPORTER.png
 
ANIMAL!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,378
Liked 415 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckds

You don't have to have the slide cut to install a Burris, a mount is made for Glock.

My 17L
Would you recommend the fast fire?
__________________
ANIMAL!!! is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
chuckds
Certified Glock Armorer
GF_SUPPORTER.png
 
chuckds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenfield, IN
Posts: 4,653
Liked 736 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMAL!!!

Would you recommend the fast fire?
It's on the low end of the better ones. I found that it would drift a little, maybe re zero after 500 to 700 rounds. I went with the Burris due to price and a mount that would fit the Glock right out of the box. Can't think of anything wrong or bad about it. I have the Fast Fire 2, they ow have the 3 out. Not sure what improvements they made over the 2.
__________________
chuckds is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
huntercole
 
huntercole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Likes Given: 1

Default

I want to do the sight cut so it sits lower and I can still run the taller suppressor sights. I also heard things that the burris dovetail mount doesn't work well with the 20/21. Haven't looked into that much though. I want the fast fire 3 with the 3 moa dot. I think the newer one has adjustable brightness as well as an automatic setting.

__________________

Last edited by huntercole; 06-28-2013 at 05:55 AM.
huntercole is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
40caljim
GF_SUPPORTER.png
 
40caljim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Daingerfield, Texas
Posts: 1,328
Liked 292 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Send a message via MSN to 40caljim
Default

You will more than likely need a larger dot for handgun. The 3moa and 3.5 moa sights are mainly made for rifle applications. Handgun red dots normally go with 7moa dot for quicker acquisition. I shoot the C-More STS on my G35 open gun (see my avatar). It has the 7moa dot.

__________________
40caljim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
ANIMAL!!!
GF_SUPPORTER.png
 
ANIMAL!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,378
Liked 415 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckds

It's on the low end of the better ones. I found that it would drift a little, maybe re zero after 500 to 700 rounds. I went with the Burris due to price and a mount that would fit the Glock right out of the box. Can't think of anything wrong or bad about it. I have the Fast Fire 2, they ow have the 3 out. Not sure what improvements they made over the 2.
I ordered the mount from amazon, and my LGS has fast fire 2's on the shelf. I'm like a kid before Christmas right now. It looks like my 17C is going to turn into an open gun!
__________________
ANIMAL!!! is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
huntercole
 
huntercole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Likes Given: 1

Default

I want to go with the smaller dot because it's going on a glock 20 longslide. Mainly going to use it for hunting and I want more precision than speed. I bought a glock 34 last night at the gun show, I may run a bigger dot on that. I've shot handguns with the fast fire 2 on them and I liked the 4 moa dot.

__________________
huntercole is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
chuckds
Certified Glock Armorer
GF_SUPPORTER.png
 
chuckds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenfield, IN
Posts: 4,653
Liked 736 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMAL!!!

I ordered the mount from amazon, and my LGS has fast fire 2's on the shelf. I'm like a kid before Christmas right now. It looks like my 17C is going to turn into an open gun!
Be careful with the mounting screws, I think it's 8 pound torque. I was reading that they can strip out kinda easy. If you have that low of a torque wrench or know someone I suggest to use it. I used the blue Loctite knowing that I would be taking back off at some point. I didn't have any problems with the mounting at all staying tight, but I still had to use my sight pusher to get the dove tail part of the mount out when I went to remove it due to the Loctite I think.
__________________
chuckds is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
ANIMAL!!!
GF_SUPPORTER.png
 
ANIMAL!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,378
Liked 415 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckds

Be careful with the mounting screws, I think it's 8 pound torque. I was reading that they can strip out kinda easy. If you have that low of a torque wrench or know someone I suggest to use it. I used the blue Loctite knowing that I would be taking back off at some point. I didn't have any problems with the mounting at all staying tight, but I still had to use my sight pusher to get the dove tail part of the mount out when I went to remove it due to the Loctite I think.
Thanks chuck, I'll keep you updated. Now to ask my dad about a small torque wrench.


__________________
ANIMAL!!! is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now that's fast.... rmclamb Glock Forum 5 03-19-2013 01:35 PM
Burris fast fire Jamey78 Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights 13 09-30-2012 03:07 PM
Slide Fire SSAK-47 Bump Fire Stock GlockIt General Firearm Forum 3 05-11-2012 02:37 AM
Fast Holsters St0rm7 Holsters and Cases 1 04-08-2012 05:39 AM
Lasers, how fast before losing sight/zero? TxShooter Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights 2 12-17-2011 08:46 PM

Glock and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Glock Ges.m.b.H. GlockForum.com is not in any way associated with Glock Ges.m.b.H.