Glock Forum > General Discussion > Gunsmithing > Fast Fire sight cut dimensions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
huntercole

Likes Given: 1

Default Fast Fire sight cut dimensions

Does anyone have their slide cut for a burris fast fire and some calipers? I'm looking to do what lone wolf refers to as a "slide melt". I run a mill at work and have access to a cnc mill as well so I'm pretty sure I can do it my self. I'm looking for the depth of the milled out portion as well as the depth of the tapped holes for the mounting screws. I don't want to go down to far and weaken my slide. Thanks for any help.

-Hunter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
chuckds
Certified Glock Armorer
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 736 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercole
Does anyone have their slide cut for a burris fast fire and some calipers? I'm looking to do what lone wolf refers to as a "slide melt". I run a mill at work and have access to a cnc mill as well so I'm pretty sure I can do it my self. I'm looking for the depth of the milled out portion as well as the depth of the tapped holes for the mounting screws. I don't want to go down to far and weaken my slide. Thanks for any help.

-Hunter
You don't have to have the slide cut to install a Burris, a mount is made for Glock.

image-3637835674.jpg

My 17L

Old 06-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
ANIMAL!!!
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 415 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckds

You don't have to have the slide cut to install a Burris, a mount is made for Glock.

My 17L
Would you recommend the fast fire?

Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
chuckds
Certified Glock Armorer
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMAL!!!

Would you recommend the fast fire?
It's on the low end of the better ones. I found that it would drift a little, maybe re zero after 500 to 700 rounds. I went with the Burris due to price and a mount that would fit the Glock right out of the box. Can't think of anything wrong or bad about it. I have the Fast Fire 2, they ow have the 3 out. Not sure what improvements they made over the 2.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
huntercole

I want to do the sight cut so it sits lower and I can still run the taller suppressor sights. I also heard things that the burris dovetail mount doesn't work well with the 20/21. Haven't looked into that much though. I want the fast fire 3 with the 3 moa dot. I think the newer one has adjustable brightness as well as an automatic setting.

Last edited by huntercole; 06-28-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
40caljim
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 292 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Send a message via MSN to 40caljim

You will more than likely need a larger dot for handgun. The 3moa and 3.5 moa sights are mainly made for rifle applications. Handgun red dots normally go with 7moa dot for quicker acquisition. I shoot the C-More STS on my G35 open gun (see my avatar). It has the 7moa dot.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
ANIMAL!!!
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

It's on the low end of the better ones. I found that it would drift a little, maybe re zero after 500 to 700 rounds. I went with the Burris due to price and a mount that would fit the Glock right out of the box. Can't think of anything wrong or bad about it. I have the Fast Fire 2, they ow have the 3 out. Not sure what improvements they made over the 2.
I ordered the mount from amazon, and my LGS has fast fire 2's on the shelf. I'm like a kid before Christmas right now. It looks like my 17C is going to turn into an open gun!

Old 06-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
huntercole

I want to go with the smaller dot because it's going on a glock 20 longslide. Mainly going to use it for hunting and I want more precision than speed. I bought a glock 34 last night at the gun show, I may run a bigger dot on that. I've shot handguns with the fast fire 2 on them and I liked the 4 moa dot.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
chuckds
Certified Glock Armorer
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMAL!!!

I ordered the mount from amazon, and my LGS has fast fire 2's on the shelf. I'm like a kid before Christmas right now. It looks like my 17C is going to turn into an open gun!
Be careful with the mounting screws, I think it's 8 pound torque. I was reading that they can strip out kinda easy. If you have that low of a torque wrench or know someone I suggest to use it. I used the blue Loctite knowing that I would be taking back off at some point. I didn't have any problems with the mounting at all staying tight, but I still had to use my sight pusher to get the dove tail part of the mount out when I went to remove it due to the Loctite I think.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
ANIMAL!!!
GF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

Be careful with the mounting screws, I think it's 8 pound torque. I was reading that they can strip out kinda easy. If you have that low of a torque wrench or know someone I suggest to use it. I used the blue Loctite knowing that I would be taking back off at some point. I didn't have any problems with the mounting at all staying tight, but I still had to use my sight pusher to get the dove tail part of the mount out when I went to remove it due to the Loctite I think.
Thanks chuck, I'll keep you updated. Now to ask my dad about a small torque wrench.

Quick Reply